PDA

View Full Version : cabinet preservation

Archive
01-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>hi everyone,<br />i have an 8 x 10 cabinet (1/4 to 3/8 thick). i consider it very valuable. it would be impossible to replace. <br />my question is....how do i display/preserve the piece? <br />should i frame?? what are my options?<br />thanks in advance!!

Archive
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>At 8x10" it's an imperial cabinet (larger version of the cabinet).<br /><br />Cabinets and such are pretty durable and you to do something to them to damage them. If it's expensive I wouldn't display it, but if you wish to an experienced frame shop can make you a custom frame with acid free materials and UV resistant glass. A good frame shop knowns what it is doing and likely has framed antique photos before. Avoid displaying it in bright sunlight. <br /><br />I have seen cabinet cards matted and displayed in the Seattle Art Museum.

Archive
01-31-2006, 05:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>In terms of display, I have a few very rare and expensive autographs I wanted to display, but just didn't want to risk getting ruined. So, I did 600dpi scans of them all and had them matted and framed. The scans LOOK real and awesome on my wall; the originals sit safe in a fire proof safe away from the light. No worries about theft, fire, damage, etc.

Archive
02-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>thanks david and jon!<br /><br />i appreciate the advice. if i choose to frame and matt the item, as suggested, would there be a risk of damage if the item was ever removed from the matting? or would that be permanent?<br /><br />