PDA

View Full Version : Mastro Preview

Archive
01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Cat</b><p>Mastro just posted this (and 19 other items) as a preview to their April auction. Does anyone know anything about this cabinet? Very nice piece.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Preview%20Lot%20Information&ItemID=48045&CurrentRow=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Preview%20Lot%20Information&ItemID=48045&CurrentRow=1</a><br><br>Edited to correct typos unless otherwise noted.

Archive
01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Lew Lipsett has sold a few of those over the years. They appear to be promotional items for the 1889 World Tour and all I have seen have the same writing on the front. Probably similar in many ways to the Stevens Cabinet debates we have had on here before regarding the writing on the front. I am not 100% sure but I seem to remember the other ones I have seen with similar trimming.

Archive
01-30-2006, 03:58 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Australia was one of the stops on the 1888-89 World Tour and a lot of photographs were taken of the ballplayers there, both team and individual shots. For whatever reason, they spent a day there having their pictures taken. There's a wonderful image of both the Chicago and All-Star team together that is known in both cabinet and slightly larger imperial cabinet form. Mastro had a newly found pair in the last auction but I don't recall if it was identified as being from Australia.

Archive
01-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Barry<br /><br />I think the photos were taken either shortly before the Tour, or directly afterwards to commemorate it. Either way, the photographer is Stevens from Chicago who took some of the Old Judge shots before the Tour started, and then took the shots for the 1890 Chicago Pirates after the Tour ended. These photos couldn't have been taken in Australia unless a Stevens photographer accompanied them on the trip.<br /><br />Perhaps Jimmy Ryan's journal that was pictured in the recent baseball memorabilia book which came out could shed some light on it.

Archive
01-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The two team photos I have seen have an Australian photographer's imprint on the mount.

Archive
01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>nm