PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Advice

Archive
01-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Harold</b><p>Just came across a bunch or pre-war cards (Bowman Playball?)(Family collected before me), mostly 1940 with some "41" too. I have some early 60's Topps that I collected as a boy, but these are unknown to me.<br /><br />Need to know how to find out what they are worth, and the best way to get them graded. I was at a small show last weekend could have gotten some of the cards graded there, but didn't know enough about it.<br /><br />Any suggestions and / or advice. I know from going on line I have a couple of top cards, just not sure what shape they are in according to the experts!<br /><br />Let me know what you think!<br />

Archive
01-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>use this link and go to the graded cards section.psa/gai and sgc are the 3 "best" out there. <a href="http://www.network54.com/Index/36815" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Index/36815</a>

Archive
01-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>tracking prices on eBay is the best way to get a realistic idea of what your cards are worth. Be sure to check only the ungraded catagories. <br /><br />As for grading them, I'd reserve that strictly for any top end you cards you might have such as DiMaggio, Williams, Mantle, etc. Your best bets are PSA, SGC and GAI. Unless you have a local dealer willing to submit them to PSA, you will have to pay a fee to first join the PSA club on top of the normal grading fee. SGC and GAI do not have this additional fee.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
01-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Harold</b><p>I do have a few high end cards, and I have a friend that has a card store, would he be able to send them in for me?<br />Also, I was the the White Plains show last weekend, and there was a GAI booth there. Could I gotten my cards graded there from GAI?

Archive
01-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>On-site grading is certainly an option but usually a little expensive. However, it might make sense for the high-end cards you have. You can insure mail and, in most cases, things are ok. However, I've seen enough cases of things getting lost or damaged and it's a royal pain to get your money back. Additionally, many of the cards are tough/impossible to replace.<br /><br />

Archive
01-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>Harold<br /><br />I too live in westchester county and can submit cards to PSA. If you want you can submit them thru me. <br /><br />Email me at Winpitcher@aol.com<br /><br /><br />btw the fee for becoming a member of psa entitles you to free grades which even out the submission fee. you may want to look into that.<br /><br /><br />also..........if you live near white plains, scarsdale cards is an authorized psa dealer and he too can submit for you.<br /><br /><br />Steve<br /><br />

Archive
01-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>And have never heard of Scarsdale Cards. Where is it and what do they sell (anything pre-war)?