PDA

View Full Version : Has Fritsch been picked clean?

Archive
01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>Despite the often heard complaints about his grading, Mr. Fritsch deserves alot of credit both for the amazing inventory he assembled and his return policy. I would think most of his customers who bought from his catalogues in the late 90's are pretty satisfied with their purchases now. He had an unbelievable stock of prewar cards...mostly in lower grades....D359's, D303/4's, many Zeenut Hofers and other p.c.l., caramels up the wazoo, Fleishmanns, T215's, Red Suns, and the list goes on and on and on. You name it, he had it. Yet, his latest catalogues seem very picked through. <br /><br />Have the "warehouses" been picked clean of quality prewar stuff? <br /><br />It would be neat to hear some of the board's Fritsch deals from years past.

Archive
01-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>My first encounter with Fritsch was not a pleasant one, so I have never bought a card from him. I always had other sources that were just as good back in the 80s, so I didn't need to buy from him to get the things I wanted.<br /><br />I still wouldn't buy from the guy. It's a grudge like the one I hold against UPS. Neither will ever get a dollar from me.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian McQueen</b><p><br />Hey Ben,<br /><br />I'd have to agree with you. I did speak with Russ over at his store just last Friday. I asked about cards from several caramel sets.....e93 all the way through e107 and he was completely out of everything. They tell me a new catalog will be coming out in a little less than a month however.

Archive
01-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Chris Counts</b><p>When I was about 12 (circa 1972-73), I sent away for his catalog. I think I still have it around somewhere. You could buy a 1952 Topps set for around $150, and I think that was the highest price item in the catalog. At the time, I was so fascinated by cards from the 1950s that I hardly noticed pre-war cards. I remember the excitement of getting my first order in the mail. I paid about 15 cents each for 1957 Topps cards of Roberto Clemente, Herb Score and a Don Drysdale rookie and maybe a quarter for a 1952 Topps card of Johnny Mize. I could have bought the whole '57 set for $35. Shortly afterwards, I attended my first card show and I hardly looked at the catalog again ...

Archive
01-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>I bought cards from Larry Fritsch when I first started collecting, and over the past year, I purchased a half dozen 1911 Zeenuts from him.<br /><br />The knock on Larry has been that he generally overgrades the cards slightly from 1/2 to 1 grade above what they really should be graded, but, on the other hand, his prices are generally more than fair.<br /><br />Patrick<br /><br /><br />

Archive
01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I bought my first Pre-War card from the Frisch catalog, a 1933 Goudey Jack Quinn that I still have. For whatever the price, Frisch cards sent the buyer a random common player. I didn't know what card I would receive until I received it.

Archive
01-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Robert {Bigb13}</b><p>He must be running out of reprints and needs to make more. Rob

Archive
01-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Henry Eshelman</b><p>I just almost made a deal with him. the only trouble that I had was that he doesnt do scans and only sends photocopies. They were very cooperative and nice but they graded the card as good and from the photocopy it looked probly fair an SGC 20 or a psa high 1.<br><br>Thanks, Henry Eshelman<br /><br />Website:www.freewebs.com/vintagebaseball

Archive
01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>2 or 3 months ago he advertized a "non sale" prospective buyers were to email or fax him what they wanted and he would get back to them with a price. Im still awaiting a reply.<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
01-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert {Bigb13}</b><p>Again he is most likely running out of reprints and must restock. Rob