PDA

View Full Version : Go Longhorns National Champions

Archive
01-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>....and what a game...Vince is da man !!!!! Yeah, a little OT but we've talked about big sports games before. I am not a huge football fan but that game was exciting....

Archive
01-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie O'Neal</b><p>Way to go Longhorns!!!!!!!!!!

Archive
01-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>hookem horn's..... Vince was a man among boys. This willsurely be an espn "instant classic" and will be replayed very soon. <br /><br /> Conrats to Mack, he's a good guy and an excellent administrator. It took Roy a while to get his firt and now Mack. Enjoy......<br /><br /><br /><br /> Be Well from Tarheel fan Brian

Archive
01-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>(just south of the rose bowl) 2 guys from USC stopped and ask for directions...i thought "holy crap, these guys are in trouble. smart enough to get into SC but not smart enough to find the rose bowl which is about 2 feet from the freeway exit...guess they never heard of mapquest.com"

Archive
01-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim James</b><p>Vince Young showed that he is the man to draft ! I hope the Titans see that.

Archive
01-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie O'Neal</b><p>Tim,<br /><br />Vince Young and Steve McNair have a really good friendship and McNair has helped Young out as sort of a mentor at times. I wouldn't be suprised to see Young go to the Titans to learn from McNair for a year and then retire if Young is available.

Archive
01-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>bleh.....

Archive
01-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Chris Mc</b><p>That was one of the most incredible games I have ever seen and may go down as the greatest national championship game ever. The most amazing thing was <br />Vince was having fun and the rest of the team responded. He was a man playing among boys.

Archive
01-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Chris</b><p>Truely an incredible game. When Texas was down by 13 late in the 4th I thought there was no way. Texas hadn't come up with one single defensive stop in the 2nd half. But Vince was calm under pressure. Definately one for the memory bank. Whata game!

Archive
01-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Kenny Cole</b><p>I grew up in SoCal, moved to College Station (A&M) and went to high school there, went to college at OU, and live in Norman, OK. It's hard for me to believe that anyone hates UT more than I do. It just ain't possible.<br /><br />That being said, toward the end of the game, I started pulling for the 'horns. It was really weird and way wrong, but I did it. When UT won, I was happy for them. I can't believe I just said that. I think I need to go lay down now . . . . What a great game.

Archive
01-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Posted By: <b>joe brennan</b><p> As great a game as it was, I cringed every time Kieth Jackson opened his mouth to say something. He was good in his day, but does any one else feel that his time has passed? I would hope that this was his last BC Bowl championship. It would be like letting Dennis Miller do the Super Bowl solo. <br><br>A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Archive
01-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>--

Archive
01-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul Griggs</b><p>That was funny. I cant believe you rooted for UT given your history. Does anybody remember what Vince Young did to U of M in the Rose Bowl last year? I'm a Michigan fan, & it was painful to watch when I realized Michigan could not stop Young in the 2nd half. I dont think he ever fell to the ground that whole game. I live a couple miles south of Austin, so there should be alot of happy co-workers at work tonight.

Archive
01-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe Jones</b><p>I was a U of M student at the time of the game last year. I remember V. young very well.

Archive
01-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>As a Husker Alum and fan I say THANK YOU HORNS!!!!<br /><br />For making espn look stupid for proclaiming the 2005 USC Trojans the greatest college football team of all time and restoring the 1995 Huskers as TRULY the greatest college football team of all time.<br /><br />And please, please Vince go pro.

Archive
01-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Jerry</b><p>Now I think the Texans should draft Vince Young instead of Reggie Bush, I fhe comes out.

Archive
01-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Glenn</b><p>Congratulations to the Texas Longhorns for their 800th victory. I don't think I've ever been happier from a sporting event than I was last night. <br /><br />I want to point out that if the refs had gotten the call right on Vince's knee, the 'horns would then have had a 1st a goal and therefore about an 88% chance of scoring a TD anyway. If, however, the refs had gotten the call correct on Leinart's INT, Texas would have had the ball at mid-field and USC would have scored 0 on that drive rather than the 3 they ended up getting. <br /><br />I do hope Vince stays in Austin, if for no other reason to avoid the ignominy of being drafted by my current home-team Texans or my real home-team Saints, but it does look like he'll leave now -- still, they said the same thing about Ricky Williams when I was there.<br /><br />And I have to agree with Dan. The 1995 Huskers were the best college team I've ever seen, by a pretty wide margin in fact. They regularly beat good teams by 50 points. I read at the time that Nebraska would have been a 1 TD underdog at a neutral site if they played the NY Jets. I would've taken the points. But after last night I am, for the first time, willing to say that I've seen a more impressive performance from a QB than what Tommie Frazier did to the Gators 10 years ago. <br /><br />I've even forgiven Mack Brown for starting Chris Simms all those years, and that is saying something.<br /><br />My brother-in-law played for my second favorite team, LSU, two years ago, and that was great. But now I'm just ecstatic. I was happy to see Leon started a thread for us.<br /><br />20 game win streak and counting...<br /><br />Hook 'em Horns,<br />Glenn Scheyd<br />University of Texas at Austin<br />Class of 1999

Archive
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>The Texans can't take Young first overall. One outstanding game does not make for a season. Plus, he'd die behind that Offensive line like Carr does and Carr isn't the worst QB in the league. <br /><br />Bush was beyond outstanding this season and deserves to be the first pick. As far as USC goes, they played like a team that had already won the game before the game started. They wanted to go up 14-0 right away and what if (I know...what if's) that stupid back lateral had been made on their early possesion to that kid who never touched a ball in his entire career and wasn't looking for the pitch. Quite a few questionable calls on Carrel's part and when it was "game time", Bush didn't touch the ball for some reason. <br /><br />Texas does get their due and again showed an outstanding performance as the beat the snot out of my Wolverines last year. <br /><br />No love for Texas State? Horrible coaching led to their loss and that QB Nealy will be drafted and a decent backup in the Pros. Congrats Longhorn fans!<br /><br />DJ

Archive
01-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>No one hates the Longhorns more than Arkansas fans, not A&M, not OU not Nebraska. Even though we are no longer in the same conference we still hate them worse than anyone. I was sitting in row 4 on the 50 yard line in Fayetteville when Texas beat us 15-14 for the Ntional Championship in 1969, the last time they had won the whole thing, maybe there is hope for us now.<br />That said I begrudgingly recognize they were the best team in college football this year...

Archive
01-06-2006, 10:55 AM

Archive
01-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>PC, your point is good. At the time of the 1930 game, college football was much more popular than pro, and the general public assumed that Notre Dame would win the game. It was something of a shocker than the Giants won.<br /><br />On the greatest college team, perhaps 6 players will make it NFL, with perhaps 3-4 being shortlived backups. This illustrates the superiority of the NFL game.

Archive
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>By my count at least 27 players on the 1995 Nebraska team made it to the NFL with 9 of them STILL playing today. Our QB Tommy Frazier would have played in the NFL if not for blood clots, and the backup QB was projected to be drafted in the first three rounds (Brook Berringer) was killed in a plane crash two days before the draft.<br /><br />The 1995 Huskers never had a close game. They beat three top ten teams by an average score of 52-23. They were never behind in any game, and they beat the number two team in the country that year Florida 62-23 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Archive
01-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>I seem to recall that in the pre-Super Bowl years (1950s-60s) there was an annual game pitting the previous year's NFL champs against a "college all-star" team. Does anyone else remember this? Of course that's still not the same thing as a collegiate national champion team playing a pro team.

Archive
01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Keith O'Leary</b><p><P>Was it the previous years NFL champ vrs the College All American team?</P><P> </P>

Archive
01-06-2006, 12:54 PM

Archive
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Keith, you are correct. For a good number of years they had the NFL champs team play a college All-Star team. The college All-Stars was comprised of the cream of the crop. I don't have the records with me, but many of the games were competative.

Archive
01-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Posted By: <b>John Effenheim</b><p>1934 Chicago Bears 0, All-Stars 0 <br />1935 Chicago Bears 5, All-Stars 0 <br />1936 Detroit Lions 7, All-Stars 0 <br />1937 All-Stars 6, Green Bay Packers 0 <br />1938 All-Stars 28, Washington Redskins 16 <br />1939 New York Giants 9, All-Stars 0 <br />1940 Green Bay Packers 45, All-Stars 28 <br />1941 Chicago Bears 37, All-Stars 13 <br />1942 Chicago Bears 21, All-Stars 0 <br />1943 All-Stars 27, Washington Redskins 7 <br />1944 Chicago Bears 24, All-Stars 21 <br />1945 Green Bay Packers 19, All-Stars 7 <br />1946 All-Stars 16, Los Angeles Rams 0 <br />1947 All-Stars 16, Chicago Bears 0 <br />1948 Chicago Cardinals 28, All-Stars 0 <br />1949 Philadelphia Eagles 38, All-Stars 0 <br />1950 All-Stars 17, Philadelphia Eagles 7 <br />1951 Cleveland Browns 33, All-Stars 0 <br />1952 Los Angeles Rams 10, All-Stars 7 <br />1953 Detroit Lions 24, All-Stars 10 <br />1954 Detroit Lions 31, All-Stars 6 <br />1955 All-Stars 30, Cleveland Browns 27 <br />1956 Cleveland Browns 26, All-Stars 0 <br />1957 New York Giants 22, All-Stars 12 <br />1958 All-Stars 35, Detroit Lions 19 <br />1959 Baltimore Colts 29, All-Stars 0 <br />1960 Baltimore Colts 32, All-Stars 7 <br />1961 Philadelphia Eagles 28, All-Stars 14 <br />1962 Green Bay Packers 42, All-Stars 20 <br />1963 All-Stars 20, Green Bay Packers 17 <br />1964 Chicago Bears 28, All-Stars 17 <br />1965 Cleveland Browns 24, All-Stars 16 <br />1966 Green Bay Packers 38, All-Stars 0 <br />1967 Green Bay Packers 27, All-Stars 0 <br />1968 Green Bay Packers 34, All-Stars 17 <br />1969 New York Jets 26, All-Stars 24 <br />1970 Kansas City Chiefs 24, All-Stars 3 <br />1971 Baltimore Colts 24, All-Stars 17 <br />1972 Dallas Cowboys 20, All-Stars 7 <br />1973 Miami Dolphins 14, All-Stars 3 <br />1974 No Game (NFLPA Strike) <br />1975 Pittsburgh Steelers 21, All-Stars 14 <br />1976 Pittsburgh Steelers 24, All-Stars 0 <br />

Archive
01-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Vince Lombardi almost killed every single player on the Packers after they lost that game. He literally went beserk. It was the last time the Stars won and the game was televised. I remember watching the game in black and white (of course) one night at my grandparent's house on Lower Hay Lake near Brainard, Minnesota when I was 13 years old. Lee and Jay, is that near your old stomping ground?

Archive
01-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>ee probably has a better fix on where it is than me, but Brainard is well over an hour north of us.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.