PDA

View Full Version : Question About T205 Backs...A. Latham And PSA

Archive
01-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>I know virtually nothing about T205 backs but I do collect Arlie Latham. It was a late night and I'm pretty sure I saw an Arlie Latham T205 with a "Latham" back with a heavy price tag. <br /><br />In the description, the person talked about it being "rare" and I think that same card was on eBay for less a few weeks before. How rare is this and what have been realized prices of late?<br /><br />Also, doing another Latham search today, is this a PSA error? It's a Polar Bear back but the slab says "A. Latham" back or am I incorrect?<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-A-Latham-PSA-4-vg-ex_W0QQitemZ8746664302QQcategoryZ31718QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-A-Latham-PSA-4-vg-ex_W0QQitemZ8746664302QQcategoryZ31718QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem</a><br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />DJ

Archive
01-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian H (misunderestimated)</b><p>Not sure I get your question entirely but here is what I know:<br /><br />2 versions of the T205 Latham:<br />A Latham on the back; and<br />WA Latham on the back. Although I don't recall for sure, there is almost certainly a link between these variations and the company advertisement on the back. That's how it is for virtually all of the variations in this set.<br /><br />Although the pop reports indicates that the W.A. var. is the scarcer of the two I would not say that it is especially scarce as T205s go. Nonethless at the upper reaches of the grading spectrum (PSA 6 and higher)the relative scarcity of W.A. can make a big difference in the price between the two cards.... This price differential would be registry driven. .<br />PSA does designate this variation by listing the card as "WA Latham" or "A Latham", although that hardly forecloses the possibility that an individual T205 Latham was mislabelled.

Archive
01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Brian did a very good job, here is a little more complete answer...<br /><br />The Latham card comes with two different captions on the back. One just has "A. Latham" at the top and the other has "W.A. Latham" on the back.<br /><br />Now is there a premium to the back variation. There never was before but I am about to create one.<br /><br />The version with "W.A. Latham" on the back I have only seen with the Sweet Caporal Red Fact. 42 back. <br /><br />The version with just "A. Latham" on the back comes with Cycle, Drum, Piedmont Fact. 25, Polar Bear, and Sovereign. At least. I think it probably comes with both the Black Sweet Cap backs as well. <br /><br />As an aside, if anyone has any "W.A." versions with any other back other than Sweet Cap RED, I would love to see a scan. Here of e-mail.<br /><br />As of this morning, I now have 919 different front/back combos on my matrix for the T205 set and am not even half way complete. I do have some other interesting tidbits about supposed scarcities and some (like the Latham) that might be changed but not really ready to put it down as fact yet.<br /><br />Joshua

Archive
01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>Thank you guys so much for your help on this matter!<br /><br />DJ