PDA

View Full Version : .

Archive
12-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Posted By: <b>.</b><p>.

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>No, I would have PREFERRED that the Sotheby's EBay online portion be PRIVATE.<br /><br />Also, I did NOT like how their EBay bids were not "live" bids and therefore someone could NOT bid online at the end of the auction...<br /><br />nor did I like that you could NOT see if you had outbid the previous bidders

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:26 AM

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>I think you should put a FEW lots on EBay (with them all set to END at 10:00 EST)...<br /><br />and then your BIGGEST lots on your website (with them set to "end" at 11:00 EST after the 10-minutes has elapsed with no bids on THAT item.<br /><br /><br />This will get you a LOT of publicity and interest and snipes on your EBAY items...<br /><br />but it will also attract a lot of attention to your non-EBay items that are only on your auction.<br /><br /><br />

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>The "normal" EBay auctions that end at 10:00 EST must NOT be private...<br /><br />since people are just too scared of those on EBay.<br /><br />BUT, since people can snipe... nobody will know who is interested in each item until it is too late.<br /><br />The EBay items will NOT be so expensive that anyone should care whether anyone else knows that they won.<br /><br />Lastly... and EBay name does NOT necessarily tell anyone who that buyer was except in the rare cases where the people on this board know each other.<br /><br />If they are worried about it, they can register a new Ebay name for free anyway.

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Posted By: <b>,</b><p>,

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>As for the big items on YOUR web site auction...<br /><br />I guess it can't hurt to ALSO list them on "Ebay Live" just for the PUBLICITY.<br /><br /><br />In other words...<br /><br />I really don't have ANY problems with a PRIVATE auction on "EBay live"... AS LONG AS I CAN STILL GO BID LIVE ON-LINE at the end of the auction and see what the HIGHEST bid from "EBay live" is and whether I want to top it.<br /><br />

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:52 AM

Archive
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM

Archive
12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie O'Neal</b><p>I don't have a problem with private auctions as long as the seller has a very good rep and it is a high dollar item. (over $800)

Archive
12-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I think that unless you are someone like Sotheby's or REA, you should not have private auctions on eBay. Once you are well known as a top auctioneer, then you can try private. I think starting off private will hurt your auctions ... Many of my favorite non-eBay auction sites are private-- Mike Gutierrez for example-- and I have no problem with that. But obviously someone like Gutierrez has a reputation that preceeds him.

Archive
12-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Archive
12-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Ted, if you are running one of those Live eBay Auctions, it's something of a different story. Most people realize that the Live Auctioneers are established auction companies that are okayed first by eBay. Private auctions are not as big an issue with these sellers. Though I would still stick to my original opinion.

Archive
12-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>i am turned off by private auctions. there is obviously more of a chance to shill or "protect" an item. i certainly don't think you would do that ted, but you will be catering to a broader base than net54.<br />i am even reluctant to place a ceiling bid in "major" auctions. i have heard of many friends winning auctions at less (sometimes much less) than their ceiling bid.....so perhaps i am paranoid....but that's the way i feel.<br /><br />question ted,<br />if you are running the auctions through ebay, what is different than a seller listing a hundred auctions at once?<br />as a seller i am curious.<br />

Archive
12-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Archive
12-28-2005, 05:45 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>thanks for the explanation. your model sounds great. i hope you can add some competition to the auction circle.<br />i just was curious where you were going with this.<br />i will certainly participate in any auctions you will run. heck, with no bp and a low sell fee, i may consign a few items.<br />best of luck, ted.

Archive
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Posted By: <b>,</b><p>,

Archive
12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Bigfish</b><p>Ted,<br />please put me on your mailing list. I think you have my address

Archive
12-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Archive
12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I am fine with a well-known auctioneer or dealer holding private auctions on ebay. However, until your company name is as well known as Mastro, you will probably lose some customers if you go the private auction route on ebay.

Archive
12-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>As always I believe just about anything "in moderation" (no pun intended) is ok. There is a fine line between announcing an auction, which is ok, and continually bumping a thread to the top. I will always be lenient to a point.....good luck as you go forward.....moderator dude

Archive
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I thought the general rule for this board is that an auction house (Mile High to Barry Sloate and of course Ted) is welcome to announce an auction on this board. An auction can post once at the beginning and once near the end (that's 2 times for you English majors), but not 5 or 10 ten times in between. Obviously, if someone posts a question about a lot or the auction rules, the auctioneer is welcome to post in response.<br /><br />yes this is correct, David. (moderator dude)

Archive
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I thought Ted wanted views on how to do the auction, not as an ad for the auction.

Archive
12-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>All I can say is sit in my chair a few days. What seems obvious is sometimes covert...and I am NOT saying that here....but you know what I mean....and I totally agree with you about this particular thread....

Archive
12-29-2005, 01:40 PM