PDA

View Full Version : 1926 Spalding champs

Archive
12-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Posted By: <b>walter ruether</b><p>Ive always wonderd when the spalding champs cards were first discoverd in the early ninties, I was told that there were only for of each player known to exist, since then Ive seen other spalding champs pop up here & there that are not part of the 4 that supposedly exist in other words I have researched that there are in fact more then four of each player to exist but why did they only pop up after the orignal batch was first discoverd & not before?

Archive
12-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Walter,<br /><br />There were two significant finds of high-grade Spalding cards in the early 90s but the cards have been available since they were first produced in 1926. The statement that "only four of each player exists" is not accurate. For some players like Ruth, there are considerably more examples while for others like Cobb, there are less.

Archive
12-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>joseph</b><p>There are many copies of each card but where the rarity comes in to play are on the different backs. There are 3 different backs. The most common are the Stat backs. Which has their bio's on the back. The rare 1926 Spaldings are the last two types, the Ad back and the Blank back. The blank back are blank on the reverse and the Ad back has a coupon offer. Both of the latter cards are extremly rare. Some of these cards have a population of 4 or less. It is a shame that these cards are not more popular. I collect the Blank back and Ad backs types. There are cards that have a print date of 1927 but I believe that only Babe Ruth cards have been found but I could be wrong.

Archive
12-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony</b><p>Are there any details of the find? By who, why they were stashed all those years, how many, etc?

Archive
12-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Posted By: <b>joseph</b><p>I think Alan Hager is responsible for almost all of the Ad back cards. I think he found them in 96 or 97.

Archive
12-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p><a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1125452775/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1125452775/</a>