PDA

View Full Version : Question for graded card collectors

Archive
12-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>I don't collect graded cards, but came across an auction description that made me wonder about how those who do collect them would react:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1981699169&category=31718" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1981699169&category=31718</a><BR><BR>It mentions in the lot description that the holder has no scratches. Is the condition of the holder important to the slab collector? Have you ever rejected buying a card because the holder had distracting scratches, scuffs, tilting labeling, etc? Would you ever resubmit a card due to holder damage?<BR><BR>Just idle curiosity. I still never plan on (permanently) owning a graded card.<BR><BR><BR>Brian

Archive
12-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>I don't buy or sell alot of graded stuff. However, when I pay for a graded card I want a clean case. Many sellers do not include the condition of the case in their description. It causes some dissapointment when I pay for a high end graded card and the case looks crapy.<BR><BR>Nick

Archive
12-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>It usually costs $5 to re-holder a card and sometimes they will do it for free so the condition of the holder is irrelevant to me at least from an appearance standpoint. My only concern would be that during the re-holdering procedure, the card has to be cracked out of the old slab and put in a new one. The more a card is handled the more chance the chance that something could happen to the card.

Archive
12-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Posted By: <b>bruce moreland</b><p>Sometimes I get a cracked case. The cracked case bothers me a bit, because something might get in there, or the crack might get worse, and because the crack can distract from the card. Depending upon where the crack is, maybe the case will pop open, and that means that you have to resubmit the card, and that is always risky.<BR><BR>These problems are annoying, but the real problem happens when you try to sell the card. You either have to disclose the problem up front or worry that your buyer is going to see the cracked case when they get the card and get angry at you.<BR><BR>If you disclose the cracked case up front, it's one of those things that sounds worse than it is. Your bidder might think that someone broke the case open and replaced the card, or that the card could have been damaged, or that it won't present well. So now you are in a situation where you have to heavily document this problem that isn't even a problem with the card. And if you disclose the problem, no matter how well you do it, there is a good chance that some potential bidders will pass on the card because they don't want this aggravation, either. That costs money.<BR><BR>It is a pain to send them in to fix them, because you are charged return shipping. This is the only way I can get them fixed, since none of the graders ever does shows anywhere near me.<BR><BR>All in all, I would much rather have a clean case, as it saves a lot of aggravation and hassle.<BR><BR>bruce<BR>

Archive
12-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>ed</b><p>Anyone ??

Archive
12-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Some people are really anal about stuff and others are at the opposite end of the spectrum. The whole spectrum, however, can be found collecting graded cards. Therefore, some people are really bothered by a scratched case and others merely shrug it off.<br /><br />I don't want to make any value judgments on either group. Nonetheless, those who are bothered by scratches on graded card cases should be keelhauled in the nearest open body of water.<br /><br />(typo)<br /><br />DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
12-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Hey guys,<br />As I emailed this Ed person...I would appreciate not bringing up 3 yr old threads unless there is a good reason. ....IF anyone continues to do this without emailing me as to why, or without good reason, they will be banned....thanks..moderator dude