PDA

View Full Version : OT but at least no jerseys died in the making of this card

Archive
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam B</b><p>I don't get into all the new stuff very much but this was a very nice pull for this guy (you will need to travel to the Beckett boards to see). <br /><br /><a href="http://www.beckett.com/iforum/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=891212&forumID=10&catID=3&forumPageNo=1&lt;/a" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.beckett.com/iforum/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=891212&forumID=10&catID=3&forumPageNo=1&lt;/a</a><br /><br />I did lie a little in my title as I also wanted to post this link (this has been the topic of a PSA Message Board Post)....<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8719784893http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8719784893&lt;/a" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8719784893http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8719784893&lt;/a</a><br /><br />Adam B<br /><br />Edited because my links seemed to be getting messed up

Archive
11-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Posted By: <b>zach</b><p> The frammed "jeresey" with a bunch of cut patches is horrible. I am strongy against the cutting up of jerseys of retired players. A new product even has Jim Thorpe cut piece of fabric inserted on cards. IMO thats horrible and they're cutting up a piece of history to make money.

Archive
11-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam B</b><p>Leon can use his discretion to kill this post or not. I thought enough people here might be interested in what I think is a neat all-time great autograph card. The second one was just added because of the goofiness factor.<br><br>Adam B

Archive
11-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>I don't want to get on anyone's "bad side" but I have to admit - I kind of liked this post. I thought that autographed card was interesting. I would never - EVER pay $22K for it - but still a neat collectible of 4 of the greats. As for the jersey - I'll go out on a limb and say I liked that too. The jersey cards suck - no question. However, I appreciate the way that man cut them out and presented them. Would I buy it - NO. Would I cut up a jersey - No. But, I still like the artistic look to the jersey made of jerseys. Just my opinion though.

Archive
11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>Just curious as to why the anti-swatch sentiment? I think it's a great idea to allow "regular" collectors to own that piece of history. I would rather have a piece of Ty Cobb's jersey in a card in my collection than have it linger over some rich guy's mantle.<br /><br />

Archive
11-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Posted By: <b>zach</b><p>Adam-my apologies I re-read what I said and it didn't come off right. The cut auto card is in all respects cool and ok with me but the cutting up of a uniform is not. Of course its Topp's or Upper Deck's so they can do whatever they want with it but as far as i'm conceren they're ripping up and shredding a piece of history.

Archive
11-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>I don't have a problem with the signed insert cards. Kind of cool but the only problem I have with it is the prices that they garner. I once saw a Mickey Mantle insert sell for $15K. It was limited to like seven pieces but aren't all autographs in their own right "one of a kind"? Especially since you can basically pick up an authentic cut for $150-200, but I guess it's no different than someone paying crazy numbers for a PSA9 over a PSA8.<br /><br />I do have a serious problem with cutting up jerseys. First off all, all you get in a one inch square piece of fabric. If you cut up a Roy Oswalt or Barry Zito, fine, who cares...but when you get to Dizzy Dean and the "Babe", then you crossed the line. <br /><br />What that guy did is actually kind of cool and I guess we can revist a recent post about what is art and what is "crap". I like the fact that he says "all the greats". I follow baseball very carefully and I must say that I have no idea who Rodrigo Rosario is or Taylor Teagarden (did he play the trombone back when?) or Brett Buck. <br /><br />To think, Josh Phelps is on a display with the likes of Hans Wagner, Mark McGwire and Willie Mays. <br /><br />DJ

Archive
11-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie O'Neal</b><p>If I would have pulled that I would have had a heart attack or would have gotten shot trying to take the card out of the shop.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Edited B/C<br /><br />The jersey is a joke auction pretty funny though

Archive
11-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Let's put it like this, would you rather have the Mona Lisa cut up into little piece so the average Joe can own a little bit of great art, or would you rahter have it remain intact? So what if it remains in someone's collection unseen by other people. At least the item remains in tact and it's historical context has not been destroyed.<br /><br />I'm not a big fan of cuts either. If politicians had cards, I wouldn't put it past the card companies to get one of the few existing copies of the Constitution and then cutting up for sigs for inserts.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>If you can sue a band for making you want to commit suicide, can I sue Barry Manilow for turning me into a wuss in the 70s?

Archive
11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>Guess it's a matter of personal preference/ideals.

Archive
11-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>Baseball jersey's are pieces of art comparable to DaVinci?? I know I'm not a "real" collector because I dare like some modern cards, but I think this is cool. I know the guy who pulled that card, and it couldn't happen to a nicer collector.

Archive
11-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Posted By: <b>zach</b><p>Maybe not a the Mona Lisa James but a certain company did cut up a Christy Mathewson jersey which in its own sense is priced way higher in historical value than cut up in 1x1 inch squares on a baseball card. Don't even get me going on the cutting up of a Jim Thorpe uniform and a joe mcginnity uniform. These companies can do whatever they like though with the uniforms because they are their property and I respect that but whats gonna happen in 10 years when all these old jerseys are but up and the only way of getting a Babe Ruth autograph is buy purchasing it while its attatched to a card numbered 1 of 7 or so and going for way more than it would have without being attatched to the card.

Archive
11-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The Mona Lisa is one of favorite works of art and I love it as much as I love baseball, so yes, I am camparing historically significant baseball artifacts to DaVinci art. <br /><br />I personally don't understand what satisfaction a person gets from having a swatch of a uniform or a sliver of bat. It's is totally meaningless when you destroy the original item. All context has been destroyed and it is nothing more than a piece of cloth or a sliver of wood. <br /><br />About once a year, I buy some modern cards just to open. I had never open a pack with a chase card in it and always thought it would be cool to get one. Well, I got one a few weeks ago. You know what, I could have cared less. It was a sliver of a bat. BFD!!! Now if I had gotten a redemption cert to get the whole bat, that would have been cool and exciting. A sliver of wood in a card is just stupid. You may as well shave some wood off a park bench. No one would know the difference.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>If you can sue a band for making you want to commit suicide, can I sue Barry Manilow for turning me into a wuss in the 70s?

Archive
11-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>As someone who spends way more time on the Beckett boards than on here, you might be interested to know that 99% don't like game-used cards either. Multi-colored patches and autographs are what they seem to be most interested in.<br /><br />James

Archive
11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>zach</b><p>It doesn't seem though to matter who likes them and that a bunch don't because they're still being made....just a new product this year has a nice swatch of jim thorpe right on it.

Archive
11-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Posted By: <b>will watson</b><p>"I follow baseball very carefully and I must say that I have no idea who Rodrigo Rosario is or Taylor Teagarden (did he play the trombone back when?)"<br /><br />guess you don't follow baseball close enough then. Taylor is one of the best catchers in college baseball, not to mention a member of Team USA. he is also one of my good friends. he's been the subject of articles by Rob Neyer, Baseball America, TSN, etc. please don't insult what you don't know