PDA

View Full Version : Registered Maill Arrived - but Tampered **Read**

Archive
10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Carl Lamendola</b><p>I decided to start a new thread on my registered mail fiascal. I went to the post office to mail some stuff and they told me my package arrived on Saturday (after 12 days) BUT it had been tampered with. They asked me to come into the back room of the post office. The package was defintely opened. The paper tape had been slit - it wasn't completely sealed all around. It had been resealed with some of the old tape and wide clear cellophane tape. I couldn't believe it. They said it appeared in the sack with no name on the log file. They allowed me to open the package from the opposite end. Much to my delight the cards were still there. Lucky for me the guy didn't collect football cards!! LOL<br /><br />The postal inspector was on the phone while I opened it with the local staff. They said they were going to check for fingerprints and try to find the culprit. No one could understand why the contents were still there. My guess is they were looking for Jewlery or something liquid...Like a T206 Wagner. So for all you doubters - Registered mail is NOT fullproof. First, instance in 20 years.

Archive
10-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The last person who signed for it should be in big trouble. Make sure the post office goes after him.

Archive
10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>Mailperson CRAMMED them in recipient's mailbox--so that the door jammed as she was trying to close it. She didn't notice the (large) insured label, the delivery confirmation, or the "do not bend." I guess priority only gets them there a little quicker, not safer. The package was actually open, but the cards survived..wrap well. And ask for "signature" confiormation!<br /><br />Or I guess "registered" is still the best bet. You can send registered mail fast--but that gets pricey. <br /><br />