PDA

View Full Version : R311 removal from scrapbook

Archive
10-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>I just acquired a couple of sharp R311's which unfortunately are affixed to a scrapbook page (one on each side of the page). Normally, I would just leave most of the paper backing as a type of matte but I would like to separate the two pieces. I just finished searching posts about how to remove glue-mounted items but did not find anything specific relative to photo-quality items like R311's. I am concerned with bleeding or staining during soaking. I would appreciate input and instructions from anyone who has attempted (successfully or unsuccessfully) to remove these types of items before.

Archive
10-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>John, I thought this was an item that had been discussed before, but can't find anything. I am about to try removing some 1800's lithos that were glued with "horse glue" to construction paper type album paper, and I'll report back here. We know it can be done, because we've seen the results sold on ebay. <br /><br />My initial procedure will be to remove as much paper as possible without damaging the litho, then soak for a few minutes (on a non-important litho card for practice). I'm hoping that the litho card is stronger than the backing paper, so that I can rub off the backing paper - horse glue is not water-soluble, so I might be screwed, but we'll see. <br /><br />For photo-quality cards, you can't soak. What has worked for me: I suggest removing as much paper as possible, then bend up the backing paper and dab water at the intersection of the backing and photo back, making sure the photo is resting on a dry cloth and that you absolutely do not touch the front with wet fingers. I can email you "before and after" scans of a photo I removed spots of paper from.

Archive
10-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>Thanks Scott....that is the information that I needed. I had some serious concerns about soaking the R311's. I have removed stamps from paper before by soaking but did not think the photos would hold up as well. I think that the glue that I am dealing with is also not water soluble. I was considering trying a little mineral oil, but do not want the the oil to bleed through to the front of the picture. Let me know your results. I will probably not attack mine until later this week when I have a bit of extra time.