PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Stories

Archive
10-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Posted By: <b>John Spencer</b><p>The "Bambino" of course was a bigger than life individual and as his legend grew the number of stories/incidents about him likewise grew. My favorite is this one:<br />Ruth was invited to the FDR White House for a formal dinner. He was seated next to Mrs. Roosevelt as the guest of honor with the president naturally at the head of the table. The first course was cooked asparagus with melted butter. Everybody tucked in except Ruth who only sat there and looked at his plate. Mrs. Roosevelt, noticing that Ruth was not partaking, turned to him and said, "Why Mr. Ruth, don't you care for asparagus"? To which the Babe replied, "Nah, it makes my urine stink."<br />Anybody got any others?

Archive
10-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Kevin Cummings</b><p>This is sort of related.....<br /><br />Enrico Caruso was once asked by a group of reporters what he thought of Babe Ruth. He did not quite know what to think, he politely explained, as he had "never heard her sing."<br />

Archive
10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>I just read the book and this one stuck with me, the Babe had a verocious sexual appetite and on the road he would frequent brothels, and some of the times he would get it on with every girl in the house. The story I liked though was he brought a dame up to his room and while his roomate was there trying to sleep he did his biz. And he and the girl where very vocal and it seemed like every half hour or so they started there moans and screams of extacy, then some time of quiet. In the morning the roomate asks the Babe "How many times did you do that broad last night. Babe said "I don't know, count how many cigars are left in the ashtray.

Archive
10-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Rousseau</b><p>Heard a variation of the Babe 'urine' story. He was supposedly at some high class event and used the cruder term for 'urine' and someone took him aside and told him he shouldn't say that in polite society. So, when people re-convened at the table, Ruth said "I'm sorry I said "piss".<br /><br />Then there's the story of an opposing team taking Ruth out the night before a game to get him loaded so they'd mess up his game the next day. But though hung over, in that game he did great, and he said to them "OK boys- where are you taking me tonight?" (he knew what they had tried to do to him).<br /><br />Robert Creamer wrote a great book on the Babe, and his comments in "Ken Burns" baseball were wonderful. He had a great ability to describe baseball with the passion and love that a young kid would. I loved when he talked about going to see a guy at Yankee Stadium when he was a kid and Ruth swinging and missing at a ball, but briefly facing where Creamer was sitting, and Creamer said he though "Wow! Babe Ruth is looking right at me!"

Archive
10-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>John<br /><br />A great source for Babe Ruth quotes is the 1930 book<br />titled "Babe Ruth....The Idol of the American Boy";<br /> by Dan Daniels.<br /><br />George Herman Ruth on how he really got his nickname.......<br /><br />"I acquired the Babe part of my name the very day I reported<br />to the Orioles in 1914. Jack Dunn took me down to the field,<br />where the players were holding a morning workout, and turned<br />me over to his coach-a man by the name of Steinam.<br />He took a good look at me and then turned to the other players<br />and said, 'Boys, here's Jack's new Babe.' From then on I was<br />the Babe."