PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin & Co Auction T-210 lots

Archive
10-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>I just saw the preview of the upcoming Goodwin & Co.auction. While there is a fantastic lot of T-210 cards in every series the lots are so large it will probably make it impossible,for me, to win any of the sets . While there are some cards I would pay dearly for I really don't want to buy 66 cards in a series to get the 3 or 4 I really want. Does the company offer these in such a large lot because collectors are willing to pay a premium to get them all at once? Is it just easier to sell one large block? I would appreciate someone explaining the factors that go into deciding to sell the cards this way. ---PS I hope whoever wins breaks the lots up and offers the cards for sale individually.

Archive
10-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>Sometimes collectors will pay a premium for a large lot of cards - especially when they are all high-grade, from a tough set, etc.<br /><br />But, often, it's just a matter of convenience. Bill Goodwin probably does not want to go to the expense of listing 500 separate lots of T210s - not only are they not widely collected, but the finishing bids will be modest. Each auction house has its own set of numbers - but, for example, Mastro likes to have an average lot of $5k on its major auctions, and $1k or so on its Collector Classics. Yes, there will be some way over and some under that - but they do like to keep a decent average. <br /><br />Also - since it is clear that you can assign a cost to the number of lots consigned [e.g. scanning one group of cards instead of 74 cards for 74 lots, plus the printing costs, the shipping costs, etc. - it all adds up], the breakdown of lots can be a negotiation tactic, too. E.G. Sell the cards in one lot for X% commission, sell the cards in 5 lots for Y% commission [y&gt;x], or sell the cards in 25 lots, for Z commission [z&gt;y]. And then you have to try and figure if it is worth the expense of breaking down.<br /><br />It's often about money in the end - and how it gets distributed.<br /><br />~ms

Archive
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>What is their website? The link does not work here on the forum. I missed their last auction because they do not do a good job advertising it..

Archive
10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p><a href="http://www.goodwinandco.com" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.goodwinandco.com</a>/