PDA

View Full Version : Helmar Brewery and Potato Chip cards

Archive
10-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Not old but vintage related. These are very nice looking tribute cards to old time athletes including Negro League and Japanese baseball.

Archive
10-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Al Crisafulli</b><p>A friend and fellow collector introduced me to these. Each potato chip bag has a pack of 4 cards inside, the size of T206s with a similar, but not identical, design. The borders are gold and the cards are printed on super-thick stock. Apparently the stock is designed deliberately so that the cards are too thick for most toploaders; the company thinks that baseball cards were meant to be handled and beaten up.<br /><br />I pulled a Chick Gandil and a Fleet Walker out of my first pack, and I'm hooked. There are 70 cards in the set as of now, and I'm likely to buy cases of Helmar potato chips trying to build a set.<br /><br />They also have had the effect of getting my kids interested in vintage baseball, since they love the idea of pulling old cards out of packs and getting a Josh Gibson or a Ty Cobb - then eating the chips.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
10-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Adam, can we get them out here on the West Coast?<br /><br />Joshua

Archive
10-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>They're all over Ebay. Here's a link to one seller. The cards do look great. <br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-HELMAR-BREWING-42-CARD-NEAR-SET-JOE-JACKSON-RARE_W0QQitemZ8708950770QQcategoryZ98014QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-HELMAR-BREWING-42-CARD-NEAR-SET-JOE-JACKSON-RARE_W0QQitemZ8708950770QQcategoryZ98014QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem</a>

Archive
10-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>Cracker Jack just recently within the last year inserted old time ballplayer "cards" into packs of CJ's. I was at Walmart one night and noticed that they had 3 packs of Cracker Jacks at 50 cents so I bought about 60 boxes of them. I can't remember who all was in the set, but I got a bunch of Joe Jackson and Walter Johnson cards. Even with all those boxes I didn't get a complete set.