PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so if noone is going to join the 350 club after Clemens,

Archive
10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>then the time is ripe to put a collection of these players together.<br />But how would you do that?<br /><br />I was thinking that Spahn, Clemens and even Hornsby are comparitively inexpensive. While Cobb, Jackson, Young, Mathewson, Johnson and Alexander may still be cheaper than Nichols and Galvin.<br /><br />And I was thinking that Nichols and Galvin are available as Old Judge cards, while the other six are shown in the 1913 game cards. That representation by two sets of the earlier eight players, I think, would portray the time lines of 19th century and deadball era members nicely.<br /><br />Certainly there are other approaches, the Cracker Jack set shows many of these players.<br /><br />What cards would you choose to display the 350 Club?

Archive
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>Ichiro could well join the club. Among pitchers, Greg Maddux has some shot still at 350.<br />

Archive
10-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>I want to think that Maddux has a chance. Although his ERA the past three seasons had ballooned up to the 4 level, he has maintained about 15 wins per year average. Being around 40 years old and 318 wins, it is possible.<br /><br />Ichiro is a different story. He was barely able to maintain a .350 average in Japan, and is falling a bit short of that level in MLB (of course, so does almost everybody). He is young enough to pick up the pace, and Id like to be surprised by him.<br /><br />But honestly right now, Im still hoping that Clemens makes it. This past year of his came as quite a surprise to me. He needs to do it one more time.<br /><br />And McGriff only needs 7 more HRs.

Archive
10-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Darren J. Duet</b><p>Old Judges Gavin & Nichols<br />T206 Portraits Young, Mathewson, Johnson<br />Cracker Jack Cobb, Alexander, Jackson<br />'33 Goudey Hornsby<br />1950 Bowman Spahn

Archive
10-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>not exactly vintage as issued, but a handsome set with most of the players needed.

Archive
10-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>Well it is either '61 Fleer, or something like that or the commitment of a serious level of funding to solely a few cards.<br /><br />And of course, Warshawlaw, this brings us mighty close to the inquiry which you recently made. Specifically, would you trade your collection for a card or cards with guaranteed upside. Of course, the 350 club cards do not have guaranteed upside. But to toss it all in and trade everything for this grouping (representing the best, by some yardsticks) which baseball has produced, is a tempting opportunity, which I continue to consider.<br /><br />You see, I have totally enjoyed more than one collectible endeavor; and as drcycleback points out: there are other things out there. I can see consolidating my collections into a much smaller package and learning something new.<br /><br />But I probably won't do it. Would you?

Archive
10-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I've collected lots of different things over the years. Beer cans, stamps, coins, board games, toys, you name it. I probably know more about Banana Splits (Saturday morning kids shows from 1968-73) and Indian trading cards than anyone else in the country. I am a packrat by nature. Money is now my biggest contraint and keeps from branching out so much. <br /><br />For all the different things I've collected, vintage baseball cards is only one I quit and then came back to do again a second time. I can't think of any other collection I've had that I would want to rebuild.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
10-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>How much is a 2005 Mint A-Rod card, the one with his having both hands clenched around his throat worth?<br />Go White Sox!

Archive
10-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Always good to see the Yankees lose. An Astros-White Sox series wouldn't be a bad thing.<br /><br />Jay<br /><br />Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. <br />If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."-- Babe Ruth

Archive
10-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>At least we won't have to see him running toward 1st base with his purse this year.