PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Longest Postseason Game EVER !!

Archive
10-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>Braves & Astros going to the 17th inning.<br /><br />How is this vintage?<br /><br />Because it is the LONGEST postseason game EVER...<br /><br />including all of the ones back in 1903 and 1911!!!<br /><br />Pretty neat to see it.

Archive
10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Pretty cool, don't you think? And a 17 inning game that featured two grand slams! One for the time capsule.

Archive
10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Shall we play 18?

Archive
10-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>Basically a doubleheader!<br /><br />Also...<br /><br />it has been a 0-0 game for 8 full innings!!

Archive
10-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>So who besides me and the people at the stadium have watched the whole game?<br /><br />this is an unbelievable game to watch,i could imagine being a fan at the game!

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>What a game!!!<br />I lived in both cities (Rice and Emory man) and found myself rooting crazily for both teams---made me feel a bit schizophrenic.<br />What an afternoon and evening!!!<br /><br />Barry

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>I am rooting for Clemons to win. And, Pettitte to win. Because<br />this will cause "Stein-gabber" to regret these, and myriad,<br />bad....bad trade decisions.

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I watched just about all of it- I went back and forth to football but at some point the football games became irrelevant. This was really a special game that will be talked about for years to come. Congratulations to the Astros.

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>A hometown boy from Louisville, Kentucky wins it !!!!!!!!!!That is the kind of drama that makes this such a great game !

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>I'm n ot sure you can blame George for letting Clemens go-he retired, went home, and then decided to join the Astros. As for the game, I can't help but feel awful for the Braves. It's like a joke now: no matter how well they do in the regular season, they will lose - and usually lose early - in the playoffs. What is the problem?

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>This year, the problem was ONE WORD:<br /><br />BULLPEN<br /><br />Dan Kolb sucked all year... Reitsma was not much better... and Farnsworth choked big time today.<br /><br />The Braves bullpen is a complete joke now that Smoltz has gone back to starting.

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>It is extraordinary that the Braves could win 14 division titles and have only one championship to show for it. Maybe the bullpen was bad this year but how do you account for every year? It's a very skewed statistic.

Archive
10-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Jeff<br /><br />I do blame Steinbrenner (or Cashman) for Clemons (early)<br />retirement. After all, back in 1995 it seemed very likely<br />they "forced" Mattingly into an early retirement. And, Don<br />being the gentleman he is..took it. However, Clemons is not<br />quite as "gentle" and he shoved it back at Steinbrenner.<br /><br />Anyhow, The Astros beating the Braves was just a matter<br />of PITCHING....PITCHING....PITCHING. And, this translates<br />to Pettitte....Oswalt....Clemons.<br /><br />

Archive
10-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>How come so many of you are spelling his name "Clemons"? Was there some vintage guy with that name? It's C-L-E-M-E-N-S<br /><br />Hey, but who really cares? - WE ARE MOVING ON TO ST. LOUIS!!!!<br /><br />I watched the last 17 innings, but I guess subconsciously knew the game would go 18 and I didn't have that in me, so I skipped the first inning so I wouldn't miss the last one.

Archive
10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>Hey Scott,it was only Ted spelling Clemens wrong and last time i checked theres only one of him....unless Ted is hiding something.<br /><br />Im willing to bet he added the O for the amount of runs Clemens gave up

Archive
10-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Hey Ted--there ain't no lemon in Clemens. I bet that was the only time in his career he entered a game as a pinch hitter and stayed in to pitch.

Archive
10-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Posted By: <b>RC McKenzie</b><p>Actually, I was 15 seats away from the blonde in my row who threw the Braves catcher's Hr ball off Wandy Rodriguez back. I yelled ,"keep it!!".<br /><br />I spent innings 3-7 in the gift shop watching the Texans game, so technically I wasn't there for the whole thing.<br /><br />I'm still baffled that Cox did not squeeze Andruw Jones home in the 14th or 15th with bases loaded and 1 out.

Archive
10-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>What does it really matter....the Astros won and<br />that is what really matters.<br /><br />JOHN....thanx for covering up for me.<br /><br />Boy, do we have a nit-picking crowd here. If I was<br />to correct the spelling and grammatical errors I see<br />everyday on this Forum, I'd be at my computer 24/7.<br />And, I would be hated for doing it.<br /><br />It is amazing how some look for any excuse to go O/T<br />on this Forum. Let's keep the intellectual exchange <br />of topics on a higher level than that.

Archive
10-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>My apologies to the imaginary posters other than Ted that I accused of mispelling Clemens' name.<br /><br />Cox will get bashed again, but the same types of decisions that people bash him for are the ones that got him there for 14 consecutive seasons. I didn't agree with him pitching Reitsma (I don't think Reitsma should be allowed near a baseball during the playoffs), but I wouldn't have squeezed Andruw.<br /><br />

Archive
10-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>It's not nitpicky, it's his name, and we're Clemens fans. If we spelled Bobby Cox's name "Cocks" it would have a similar effect...maybe not quite.

Archive
10-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Scott<br /><br />Hey guy, I am a Clemens fan, too. Especially when he wore<br />"pin-stripes" in NY. I have a good friend who has the same<br />name; but, his is spelled CLEMONS. So, I guess that accounts<br />for my miss-spelling of CLEMENS in my posts.<br /><br />Check-out my name....if I had a $1.- for everytime it was <br />miss-spelled or miss-pronounced, I could have retired at<br />age 40 (instead of 51, when I did retire). Anyhow, I guess<br />I am not as "thin-skinned" as some people appear to be, as<br />this never bothered me. Life is really great if you don't let<br />the trivial aspects of it "bug" you.

Archive
10-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>We are in agreement.