PDA

View Full Version : Best Auction Website?

Archive
09-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Posted By: <b>BlackSoxFan</b><p>Just out of curiosity, whose auction site do you feel is the best? There are a bunch to choose from ... eBay, Lelands, Mastro, REA, H&S, etc..etc...etc..etc...<br /><br />I'm not talking about customer service or who you think has the best stuff, but rather, I would be curious to hear your thoughts as to who had the best organization/searchability/ease of use/etc...etc...???<br /><br />Why do you like that one as opposed to others? so forth and so on! Answer away people! Is there anything that you'd like to see these sites implement?<br /><br />I have a lot of thoughts on this myself, but i'd rather you guys give your opinions w/o being swayed by stuff i say...<br /><br />Regards,<br />Black Sox Fan<br /><br />- - - - - - - - -<br /><br />I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know<br /><br /><a href="http://www.blacksoxfan.com" target="new">BlackSoxFan.com</a><br /><a href=mailto:shoelessjoe@blacksoxfan.com?subject=Ne t54>email me</a>

Archive
09-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcyleback</b><p>I find all of the of major auction houses auction sites to be okay. I like MastroNet's the best, except for their front page animations (fuctionality not aethetics problem).<br /><br />What I like in auction of many items is good categories and, within the cateogory, for me to be able to view the entire (or large chuncks) of the lots. Being able to view all 98 lots in a category instead of increments of 10 at a time.

Archive
09-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Mastro, REA, 19th Century, Goodwins all have functional, well designed websites. Really dont care for Hunts - very difficult to find anything.

Archive
09-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>I like Mastronet's the best. Ease of use, saving favorites, the ability to zoom in on photos, et cetera, but like David I don't like their front page so I bypass that and go straight to the category listings page. Hunts is difficult to maneuver and it seems to me that whenever I hit the back button it takes me all the way back to the start of a search. I just checked out the Huggins and Scott auction site and I like that one.<br /><br />Overall if you're looking to replicate the functions of an auction site that it's Mastro by a mile.

Archive
09-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>Really BIG scans, front and back; half the time I don't know what I'm getting from Mastro till it arrives...but it's usually pretty nice! He usually gives you front and back, and--but only sometimes--lets you enlarge the scan...sometimes...<br /><br />And, almost O/T, Gary Engel's Prestige Collectibles---Japanese stuff. He's had the ticking clock in place for YEARS...and also, nice BIG scans (but not, like 19thc, front AND back.)

Archive
09-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Posted By: <b>BlackSoxFan</b><p>I too think mastro is the best of what is available, although, i have not been amazed by the layout of any of the sites. What do you guys think about usability for ebay? Also, i have never consigned to another auction house, what do you feel about the utilities available for those that have already consigned items?<br><br>Regards,<br />Black Sox Fan<br /><br />- - - - - - - - -<br /><br />I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know<br /><br /><a href="http://www.blacksoxfan.com" target="new">BlackSoxFan.com</a><br /><a href=mailto:shoelessjoe@blacksoxfan.com?subject=Ne t54>email me</a>

Archive
09-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I like Mastro's website the best. It is clear, easy, and fast. 19th Century Only is also clear and easy, though not quite as fast. REA was quite slow during the last auction. I hope they have remedied that problem. When it takes forever for pages to come up, it lessens my desire to sit around and search the site. Here is a big vote for powerful servers.<br />JimB

Archive
09-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Posted By: <b>BlackSoxFan</b><p>It's amazing with the relative spread of Hi-Speed ... how people's impression of quick has changed. I remember my father telling me a story about how he remembered when the law firm he worked for first got type writers...it screwed up all of the assitants who were used to taking dictation with a pen and paper. It wasn't that they couldn't type (almost all could) it was rather, the new technology that just threw them for a loop.<br><br>Regards,<br />Black Sox Fan<br /><br />- - - - - - - - -<br /><br />I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know<br /><br /><a href="http://www.blacksoxfan.com" target="new">BlackSoxFan.com</a><br /><a href=mailto:shoelessjoe@blacksoxfan.com?subject=Ne t54>email me</a>

Archive
09-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I checked out the Huggins & Scott auction, and their site is about as good as any.