PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Baseball Exhibit in Oakland

Archive
09-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Macrae</b><p>For baseball fans, collectors & historians the long awaited "Baseball As America" exhibit opens on Saturday September 17 at the Oakland Museum. I previewed the exhibit last night, and as expected, the Museum did a great job with the presentation. The main exhibit is on loan from the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and has a modest selection of vintage cards (Including a T-206 Wagner), but the vast majority of the exhibit reflects how baseball has become a part of the American culture. In addition to the Hall of Fame exhibit, the Oakland Museum has added a number of local features including the PCL, local Negro Leagues, A's, Giants and more. Additionally there are two other baseball themed exhibits in the adjoining "California History" room. One is a Latin baseball photo exhibit, the other on local legend George Powles.......Also, Next Saturday (24th) , the 11th Annual Pacific Coast League ballplayers reunion will be at the same facility. A full day's event with more than two dozen players confirmed already. A chance to meet and talk with some of the guys whose cards you collect. Those of you living in / visiting Northern California can email me directly for more info on either event.<br /><br />

Archive
09-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I believe this is the same exhibit that was featured at the Museum of Natural History in NYC a couple of years ago, perhaps without the emphasis on California baseball history. It was really wonderful, focusing more on visual and historical material than on cards. A terrific show for sure.

Archive
09-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>I saw it a couple years ago in Los Angeles. It is excellent for the history of different facets of the game - especially the integration of baseball. <br /><br />I highly recommend going when it's near your home.<br /><br />

Archive
09-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Andrew</b><p>Is it a traveling museum, i.e., is there a list of scheduled cities?<br><br>“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.” - English Proverb

Archive
09-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>Great exhibit - I saw it in LA a while back. Unfortunately for everyone that's missed it, Oakland is the second to last stop, followed by Detroit.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.baseballasamerica.org" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballasamerica.org</a>/

Archive
09-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>I'm looking forward to it...