PDA

View Full Version : I know it is early but----27th National questions?

Archive
09-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>OK-- I know it is early but I like to plan ahead --the 27th National is in Anaheim July 26-30,2006. Coming from the east coast which airport is best to fly into? Which is the best/closest hotel to stay in ? Is it possible to get around without renting a car? Any other suggestions from those who have attended in the past will be sincerely appreciated. Thank you !

Archive
09-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>The airport I'm most familiar with is LAX, & you definetly need a car out there. It's not too early to start planning for me. I have a wife & 3 young kids, & it's in Anaheim. The Disney trip among other attractions will eat into my card budget for sure.

Archive
09-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>Since my log-in name is ocjack, I'd be happy to try and answer any questions about Anaheim and Orange County (oc).<br /><br />Airports: John Wayne Airport is in OC and is closest, but cheaper flights in can be had by flying into LAX. Airports in Ontario and San Diego, are further, but in car-necessary Southern California, not unthinkable.<br /><br />Cars: Unless you are planning to stay at the hotel and convention center the entire time, a car is necessary. The convention area hotels have shuttles that will take you to a couple of places, but don't count on 'em if you want to be truly mobile. <br /><br />Hotels: Anaheim is a forest of hotels. There are several major ones within the convention center complex and large and smaller ones in the surrounding neighborhood. Price is the main consideration. Any of the on-line travel sites will be helpful in selecting suitable accommodations.<br /><br />Tourist sites: It's Southern California!!!!! Grab an Angels game, drive up to LA for the Dodgers or head south for the Padres, or Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, or go to Hollywood and buy a map to the stars homes. Name it - we probably have it. <br /><br />Hope this helps. As the National draws nearer, feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. I'll be happy to try to help.

Archive
09-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I am just north in LA and will probably stay at the Disneyland Hotel with my family. You have to have a car with very limited exceptions. I did the last Anaheim national without one, sort of, taking a room in a motel on the road nearby and using a local bus to get within walking distance of the convention center, which was OK. If you come into LAX there are any number of shuttle services that you can engage to take you to Anaheim and back. If your family plans to be at Disneyland the whole time and you plan to be at the show, there really isn't a need to spend the $$ on a car. There is plenty of eating and such at the Disney California theme park area, at least for a few days, and there are a number of restaurants in walking distance from the convention center (ok, long walk).<br /><br />I'd suggest you book early for hotels near the center and/or the Disneyland-related hotels because it will be high season and they will sell out.

Archive
09-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>I think JetBlue flys to Long Beach from NYC and Boston.

Archive
09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Burbank is also a viable alternative to fly into. If it were me, I wouldn't stay right in Anaheim, where the hotel prices are bound to be ridiculous. I would fly into the cheapest airport, get a rental car (you'll be glad you did) and stay 20-30 minutes away from the show.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
09-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>I only live 3 miles from Anaheim Convention Center. Parking is my only concern.

Archive
09-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I've flown to/from NYC multiple times with it, great experience each time.

Archive
09-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>If you're bringing the wife and kids, they will want to go to Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. Those are right across the street from the convention center complex. Depending on how many days you are going for, you might consider a park/hotel package staying at the Disneyland Hotel if your family intends to take up residence in the Mouse Kingdom.<br /><br />Unless your whole time will be spent between the show and Disney, you will want a car to get around. There are ample eating places as well as plenty of hotels (though most are expensive) within walking distance, but almost any other Southern California sightseeing will require a car.<br /><br />Personally, I intend to do what I regularly do for events at or around the Anaheim Convention Center - I drive (I live about 45 minutes away) and park in a residential area southwest of the convention center (south of Orangewood and west of West) that has free street parking - it's about a 6-block walk. <br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Erikv</b><p> I am an Anaheim native, living one mile away from the convention center. I will agree with the other posts about renting a car. Although Disneyland/California Adventure are directly across the street from the Convention Center, all other attractions will need a form of transportation! Angels Staduim is 2 miles east of the Convention Center. I would even suggest that the board member planning on attending, pick a date and we can get group tickets for an Angel game. (I think group sales are 25 or more.) There are a number of smaller attractions in the nearby area (ie malls) and other attractions fairly close (Knotts Berry Farm, Movieland Wax Museum.) If you planning to see the Dodgers, that's about a 20 mile drive northeast. San Diego is roughly 100 miles to the south. There are tons of accomidations in the area including Disneyland Resorts, Hilton and Doubletree to name a few!<br /><br /> Also, it's my understanding that along with the 2006, Anaheim will be hosting 2008 National!<br /><br /> See everyone next year!

Archive
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>How far is Downtown Disney from the Anaheim Convention Center? Is it walkable? The last time I went to Downtown Disney, they had free parking. Sounds like it may be a good place to park, walk to the National, then go back to Downtown Disney for dinner - assuming it is walkable to begin with (within 15 blocks hopefully).

Archive
09-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>Downtown Disney is quite a walk to the convention center. Free parking is only 3 hours. If you lose your parking ticket, it's $30! I know, because I did once. Like Disney needed it. Disney Greed.

Archive
09-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>Some helpful sites:<br /><br />Anaheim Visitors Bureau:<br /><a href="http://www.anaheimoc.org" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.anaheimoc.org</a>/<br /><br />Anaheim Convention Center:<br /><a href="http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/custom.cfm?name=main2.cfm" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/custom.cfm?name=main2.cfm</a><br /><br />City of Anaheim:<br /><a href="http://www.anaheim.net" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.anaheim.net</a>/<br />

Archive
09-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>than the 20 mi. to LA to see the Dodgers on a weekday evening. That said, if you've never been to Dodgers Stadium and have the fortitude to brave the freeways, I'd recommend the trip because it is one of the nicest old school stadiums around.

Archive
09-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>We don't know the schedules for next year yet.<br /><br />However, it is the normal practice for the Dodgers and Padres to be at home at the same time, and for the Angels schedule to be basically the opposite of theirs. <br /><br />It's actually about 30 miles to Dodger Stadium, and around 90 to Petco Park. <br /><br />You do NOT want to park at Downtown Disney for visiting the National. Not only do they charge a lot after the first three hours, but you will also have a long walk to get to the Convention Center, even though the Convention center is on the other side of Katella Avenue from Disney's California Adventure (the parking lot is in the middle of the Disney complex, several blocks walk from Katella Avenue).<br /><br />Parking there after the show closes for the night and spending a couple hours eating or drinking is not bad.<br /><br />

Archive
09-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Posted By: <b>ErikV</b><p><br /><br /> I stand corrected. The distance from Dodgers to Angels Stadium per mapquest:<br /><br /> Total Est. Distance: 30.94 miles<br /><br /> and the distance from Angels Stadium to Petco Park per mapquest:<br /><br /> Total Est. Distance: 93.82 miles<br /><br />

Archive
09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>there are several trains including amtrak that can get you around OC and LA...hotel wise, they can be expensive within several miles of anaheim thanks to disneyland, etc...i live in west covina (pop 100k+) and is about 25 mins...a lot of hotels/motels that are cheaper and pretty easy to get to...before you make reservations, i suggest you check out the surrounding area demographics of where you are staying...like all major cities, there is an "uppity", "nice", and "crappy" area...my suggestion would be to spend the extra $25 and get a better location...<br />pete-

Archive
09-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Umm...being a Los Angeles native, distances mean nothing to us...L.A. people measuring driving distances in terms of time. From Anaheim to Los Angeles it can take anywhere from 30 minutes (at 4 am on a tuesday) to 3 hours (rush hour seven days a week).<br /><br />Adam is correct, I can make it to San Diego in less time during rush hour than I could make it to Dodger Stadium (which you have to pass downtown to get to from Anaheim). There are tricks to cut down the time but they actually add mileage...Los Angeles is a completely unique traffic situation.<br /><br />Joshua

Archive
09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>I hope that the Anaheim Convention will bring out some Zeenuts, D310s and D311s, Obaks and other regional issues that were AWOL in Chicago; otherwise, except for the friendships and acquaintances of fellow collectors particularly Net54 guys from this board, I see no reason to attend, especially if prices are akin to what they were this summer.

Archive
09-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>Thanks everyone --tbob raises another interesting question --has anyone ever organized a small "vintage only" show ? One where quality items would be available and buyers would know they would not have to sort through modern cards they would only see vintage items? Why wouldn't this work on a small scale?