PDA

View Full Version : Fake t206

Archive
09-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>How many people here buy t206 cards such as a cobb or a cy young that aren't graded? Since sellers sell ungraded t206 as "as-is," how do we know if its real or not? Some go for $300 and it could be fake.<br /><br />

Archive
09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>zach</b><p>Never buy a card that is being sold "as is". When buying big cards like these you really have to know what you are looking for and the only way for that is to research. I would really suggest just looking at ebay and say look at a graded cobb in a psa 3 and compare it to a cobb thats being sold AS IS or not sure if its real or not even if it's going for hundreds. You will find a difference. Neither my Cobb or my Young are graded because I knew they were authentic because of research. You really need to take baby steps and buy some little guys before you go off and get a Cobb off ebay.<br />

Archive
09-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>buy from a reputable seller with excellent feedback and a money back guarantee. As zach said, dont buy "as is" raw cards. Instead look for a seller who guarantees authenticity. If you have questions about a seller, posting here is a good idea - you will usually find that someone on this board has dealt with the person in the past.<br /><br />Finally, I also agree with zach that the more you buy, the more you will be able to recognize the differences b/t the real ones and the fakes.

Archive
09-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p><b>"Since sellers sell ungraded t206 as "as-is," how do we know if its real or not?"</b> <br /><br /><br />Do yourself a favor and avoid ebay items where the seller states it is being sold "as-is" or if the seller states that "it is being sold as a reprint because it is not graded". <br /><br />I would be willing to bet that most of the sellers that use the above ploys are trying to sell you the card knowing it is a reprint. ebay should not allow sellers to place cards up for sale unless they will guarantee that the cards are not reprints... that's another topic that most people here don't want to get started on...<br /><br />It may cost more to buy from a dealer that offers a liberal return policy but it's going to save you a big headache.

Archive
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>definately go slow. Figure what cards you want to collect and then buy some commons from the various sets these cards come from. Otherwise, your only option is to buy slabbed cards. Buying raw cards on eBay is not something a new collector should be doing unless they are getting very low grade commons to learn about the issue. Big ticket purchases should be reserved for slabbed cards or raw cards from reputable dealers. The links at the top of site have a list of great dealers.<br /><br />Even slabbed cardsa re no gaurentee that you will get what you see as it's not unusual for scammers to steal images and sell a card they don't actually have.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
09-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Thanks, As a new collector I want to start big with top tier cards. I definately will aim much much lower. Thanks to everyone!

Archive
09-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I want to be careful that folks don't think that if they buy from a dealer, or person, that is on our Links page, that it is a guarantee. IT IS NOT. We do monitor those folks, dealers, auction houses etc.....and we believe they are good honest folks...but it is always caveat emptor. I have personally never had an issue with dealing with anyone on the board but Network54, nor I, make any guarantees.......take care, good luck, take the folks advice in this thread...and you should be relatively safe.

Archive
09-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>has anyone given thought to some of these "new to board" members asking questions about fake cards so they can figure out a way to sell them??? just a thought, but i've seen about 3 or 4 lately and though i dont claim to know everyone, it seems like their name isnt one that is seen very often...i hate these guys since they are ruining the game of collecting vintage cards...now i seem to be spending more on graded cards because i'm worried about buying fakes...eventhough some look really good and may be authentic...<br />pete-<br><br>my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!