PDA

View Full Version : Very New to Vintage

Archive
08-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>Hi everyone, my name is Tom and I live in NY. I have been collecting cards since I was a kid, but have gotten tired of all the new cards. There are too many variations, numbered, and cards of kids barely out of Little League. I would like to get more involved in the vintage world. Can any of you recommend a few books that might be helpful in learning about vintage cards? I have been lurking on this board and am very impressed at the conversations. There is lots of knowledge and debate w/o all of the name calling on some other boards that I have been a part of. Thanks again for any help you can offer. I look forward to spending time on this board.<br /><br />Tom<br />

Archive
08-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>This Board is the best place to start. Lipset's encyclopedia is another good souce: <br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Encyclopedia-of-Baseball-Cards-by-Lew-Lipset_W0QQitemZ5234148271QQcategoryZ26362QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/Encyclopedia-of-Baseball-Cards-by-Lew-Lipset_W0QQitemZ5234148271QQcategoryZ26362QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a><br /><br />Finally, consider a subscription to old cardboard magazine - see link above (the link above is also very helpful to identifying pre war cards).

Archive
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>By Krause Publications. Widely available and on Amazon. Read the vintage sections and you will get a pretty good overview of the vintage cards out there.

Archive
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>In my opinion...and in no particular order, these are a must<br /><br />2005 Krause SCD of Baseball (the big book)<br /><br />Oldcardboard magazine subscription (click on link at top of this page)<br /><br />Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball cards ....all 3 volumes (can be found on ebay)<br /><br />probably a complete run of the now defunct (as far as I know) VCBC (can be found on ebay)<br /><br /><br />with those 4 you will have a great start......welcome aboard and have fun..

Archive
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Posted By: <b>John Harrell</b><p>A great introduction to 50's card sets is "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book", available on Amazon.<br /><br />John

Archive
08-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Posted By: <b>BlackSoxFan</b><p>Search this board!<br><br>Regards,<br />Black Sox Fan<br /><br />- - - - - - - - -<br /><br />I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know<br /><br /><a href="http://www.blacksoxfan.com" target="new">BlackSoxFan.com</a><br /><a href=mailto:shoelessjoe@blacksoxfan.com?subject=Ne t54>email me</a>

Archive
08-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>A bonus would be Lipset's newsletter collection, which you can find on ebay every now and then. "Classic Baseball Cards" will keep you busy for a while, and help you decide what sets you might want to attack.

Archive
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>Wow the response has been great. I will definitly get a few of those books. I looking forward to becoming a productive part of this board. Thanks again. Tom

Archive
08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>from another Tom..........<br /><br />Leon.....might be a good thing to have a reference page or some type of link maybe on the homepage of Net54 for the newbies.......JMHO.........<br /><br />