PDA

View Full Version : Any Gulf Coast collectors out there?

Archive
08-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>I've been watching the news and wondering if any of the Net54 crowd got caught in the hurricane. Amidst the news coverage I have yet to see anybody swimming through the floodwaters pulling a lifeboat with their collection in it so I'm hoping that means all are well.<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive
08-30-2005, 05:37 AM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>I spoke to a friend of mine last night from Biloxi. He and his family are 300 miles north and safe at the present time. Preliminary reports from fellow officers are that 90% of the housing was destroyed at the military base where he lives. He is a vintage collector but only lurks on this board. I did not want to ask, but he stated last night that he had left a good portion of his collection behind. Obviously the important thing is that he is safe.

Archive
08-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>Not to compare loss of life and of homes to cards so dont take it that way but we've talked in the past about attrition of the supply of vintage cards.Obviously anything pre-1920 hasnt been printed for 85 years so the supply of them will never grow but something like this with flooding and homes being destroyed im willing to bet thinned out the vintage card ranks even if its ever so slightly.It wont be noticable to us but im sure its happened when you see people leaving houses in a hurry with just the necessities.It couldve happened with cards in basements or attics that havent been touched since they were new,or couldve been cards in the mail,or couldve been just small collections with little value that were left behind for obvious reasons like stated above.<br /><br /><br />A lady from Mississippi who was interviewed left a house behind that was totally destroyed and she said it had been in her family for over 150 years losing antiques that were as old as the house.<br /><br />Unless its some big collection that we find out about,we wont even notice day to day the cards missing(im sure the owners will) but over time stuff like this thins out the possible supply