PDA

View Full Version : I have far greater difficulty locating specific commons

Archive
08-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>The least known players have been multi-year searches for me. For example Gerald Walker, Diomedes Olivo and Johnnie Burnett were quite difficult to obtain. For the past year or two I have been trying to secure a decent copy of Leon Cadore and Oscar Ray Grimes.<br /><br />Now it is true that Wheat has two Grimes available, but one is a strip card and the other an exhibit - I am hoping for a product card. And there have been some Cadore beaters available during the past two years, but I held off, thinking a vg or better was likely within my budget. I still do, but where is it?<br /><br />Do you have difficulty with no-name commons?

Archive
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>If it's obscure commons, I'm prolly the guy to ask. In the case of Oscar Grimes, your only other choices are a Zeenut or an e120. I don't show a Johnnie Burnett in my pre-war database, but do have a Jack that only appears in the t210 series 8. I am assuming Olivo is only on Cuban cards since he doesn't appear either. Cadore has a zeenut, e120, e220 and a strip card. Walker you can find in the Batter Up 33 Goudey, r313 and r314 sets.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>Right you are Jay!<br /><br />Johnnie Burnett was (I believe) a Canadian version of R314, which I got from Tim N.<br /><br />I just picked up the Batter Up Walker; which was the one I wanted.<br /><br />And the Olivo was on the 60 Pirates - I got his card in a TCMA set.<br /><br />According to my data: Olivo was the oldest rookie and Burnett had the most hits in a game (9).

Archive
08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>Walker was in the '34 Goudey set, not the '33.

Archive
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Well I've been keeping an eye open for any Leon Cadore card, one beaten up a bit is ok with me. I actually like cards that I'm not afraid to hold. So any of those beaters you saw, are any still available???<br /><br />Frank.

Archive
08-24-2005, 06:02 AM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>I have seen two or three Cadore beaters on eBay over the past couple of years. None in the last 6 mos. or so. I imagine that they are in a pile somewhere, but I do not know where.