PDA

View Full Version : Breisch Williams Type 2 questions

Archive
08-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>The SCD catalog suggests the Breisch Williams could have been cut from a poster or advertising piece. The few I've seen have been hand cut, which would support the cutout idea. Does anyone have more information on these? Also, why the high price on these? They are extremely rare, but if they are cutouts, most people shy away from them, or run. A recent post on the subject: "If period player pictures cut from a notebook cover can be catalogued then why can't player photos cut from a Spalding baseball guide also be catalogued?" There are probably less Allen & Ginters or Buchners that are cut from posters than the real cards, but those issues sell for less than their counterparts. Not that they aren't collectible or that I wouldn't want one, just I don't understand the prices that the type 2 Breisch's are going for. Any estimates on the number of type 2's out there?

Archive
08-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>E107 Type 2 cards have been seen with the "Breisch Williams" stamp on the back, which could indicate that they were NOT cut from boxes or posters.<br /><br />Then again, if the stamp is an indication of "redemption" for a prize, then it means nothing.

Archive
08-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>No one knows for sure what Type 2's are. There is still a high likelihood that they were cut out of an advertising sheet or candy box. However, they are extremely rare (probably less than 5 known copies of each player). They are also connected to the Breisch Williams set, which seems to be more popular than ever. While Type 2's don't have the broad appeal that Type 1's have, they are still extremely popular, and those who collect them are willing to pay big $ for them. Let's not forget, when items are auctioned, it doesn't matter how broad their appeal is. It only takes 2 bidders to reach the final price, not many.<br /><br />(edited for spelling)

Archive
08-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>there are only 7 or 8 players, total, in the sub-set.