PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie-Lurker Introduction

Archive
08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Posted By: <b>HiNeighbor</b><p>Hello....Greg Theberge here. Saw somewhere where we should introduce ourselves and come out from lurking.<br />Also new to this forum for the past few months or so. Have enjoyed reading many of the posts here and have been trying to get myself an education on early cards. Am pretty green to the hobby so haven't had much to share. I guess I would consider myself one of those "lurker" type people, mainly due to the fact that I know very little on the subject and am just trying to learn. I began collecting pre-WWI Boston American/Red Sox items a couple of years ago, but have had a lot of experience collecting early Rhode Island Brewery advertising for the past thirty years. If you want to know anything about that topic, I can talk your ear off. &lt;G&gt;. Most of the collection I share with my dad dates from the same era as the material on this forum.....late 19th century to the 30s and 40s. (The 20s was a pretty slow time for beer, and the Sox for that matter, due to a series of unfortunate circumstances). The majority of our collection is composed of extremely rare one of a kind pieces and some, such as a 1916 celluloid schedule from the Narragansett brewery, even have a relationship to the Red Sox. I guess it was natural to expand our collection to pre-WWI Sox stuff because of this. We published a book a few years back along with some collector friends titled New England Breweriana (Schiffer). Have actually been gathering material for a possible upcoming publication relating the history of beer to the Boston Red Sox dating back to the Huntington Avenue Grounds. After all, I think one could argue that beer is the most natural beverage to be drunk at the ballpark.....<br /><br />In addition to pre-WWI cards, am especially interested in early World Series programs and press pins. Am also looking for anything to do with Red Sox Ale and Red Sox Whiskey. If you know of any sources, would appreciate an email. Anyway, thought I would introduce myself. This forum is great and all of the people on it seem to be very helpful. The camaraderie is very enjoyable. <br /><br />I'm tired, time for a brew...<br /><br />Cheers to you all!<br />Greg Theberge<br />

Archive
08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>Sounds like some awesome stuff Greg, and I agree a beer sounds good. Welcome aboard.

Archive
08-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Posted By: <b>bruce dorskind</b><p><br /><br />Among the items I have which may be of some historical<br />interest..<br /><br />an original Royal Rooters pin and picture of the Club President<br />from the 1907-08 period<br /><br />Jimmy Collins sheet music celebrating the 1903 World Championship<br /><br />Pin from 1904 with player picture celebrating championship team<br />of 1903<br /><br />three psa 8 boston Ramly cards<br /><br />Let me know if anyone has an interest in seeing same<br /><br />Bruce

Archive
08-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Welcome aboard, Greg. Thanks for the intro too....