PDA

View Full Version : GAI

Archive
07-31-2005, 06:32 AM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Does GAI do a good job of finding trimmed or otherwise altered cards? Has anyone cracked a GAI card and sent it to SGC or PSA only to have it returned as altered, fake or trimmed? I know the GAI guys were the old PSA guys, but because the prices of their cards are generally lower, it makes me wonder about that or maybe GAI cards are just bargains...or maybe they grade too high. For this specific question, I'm not concerned about their grading (or overgrading), but concerned about their ability to detect a fake, an altered card or a trimmed card as compared to SGC/PSA.

Archive
07-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Specifically, I'm wondering about the 33 Goudey Lajoie in the Goodwin auction, which is a GAI 6.5<br /><br /><a href="http://70.85.119.181/displayitem.php?item=4&category=Live%20Auction" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://70.85.119.181/displayitem.php?item=4&category=Live%20Auction</a>

Archive
07-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>The card looks ok to me. Sometimes GAI stuff appears trimmed because the design of their inner holders that secure the card in place. I haven't had any issues with GAI but I'm sure they have made a few mistakes like the others.<br /><br />I would bet this one was scrutinized more so than most of what they grade. It's probably a safe bet.

Archive
07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Concerning authenticity, I doubt they'd have trouble identifying a counterfeit Lajoie. I'm sure their top guys have handled thousands of Goudeys.<br /><br />The ironic thing about the occasional PSA advocate who challenges GAI's grading and authentication abilities is that many of their PSA cards were graded and authenticated by the same GAI people.

Archive
07-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>the holders are somewhat ugly,but... I find that these guys are very tough.<br /><br />No grading service is perfect, nor are we. <br /><br />I have been able to meet them through some close friends of theirs and they took time to talk ,patient in explaining why a particular card graded like it did and as some think there are some that get better grades then others ,my feeling is that they are as straight up as SHOULD BE EXPECTED and pretty daggone accurate. <br /><br />Patience and knowledge are my grading of them.<br /><br /><br />Good afternoon<br />Dan

Archive
07-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Holt</b><p>I just cracked 2 GAI cards and sent to PSA. Both were labeled '1st graded' by GAI (which really doesn't give a feeling of confidence). One was a t206 Ryan (Roanoke) and the other a Hamilton Gum Hockey card. I'm looking forward to see how they cross.

Archive
07-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>First graded simply means the first specific card graded at that grade by GAI. They may have graded many others at higher or lower grades. In other words, the first t206 Cobb redback they grade at a "5" gets the "first graded" designation. The next T206 Cobb redback graded a "5" doesn't get any special designation. <br /><br />What were the GAI grades of the cards you broke out of the holders to get regraded?

Archive
07-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>I thought a PSA 6 would sell for more than a GAI 6.5, maybe others disagree.<br /><br />Since they are selling the card, they would want to maximize dollar value, they should care less about what holder it is in. So the fact it is not in a PSA holder is why I am asking.<br /><br />This may not be true with other vintage cards, such as T206s, but in the Goudeys, it is clear that PSA gets much more dollar for the grade than any other grading company.

Archive
07-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I recently cracked a card out of a GAI holder, it was very easy and could be put back together without much show of being cracked. Easiest holder I ever cracked.<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive
08-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Posted By: <b>scott ingold</b><p>I just cracked 5 GAI's and found them tough. The plastic shattered and flew all over. Whereas PSA's i can get open in one piece and have very little damage to either side. Guess it all depends. Same for the SGC case, the damn plastic shatter's all over.

Archive
08-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Holt</b><p>At the risk of antagonizing Adan J. M. both my GAI's were 2.5s. Low grade, but I like em.

Archive
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Personally I have no problem with GAI. I think they are pretty consistent in their grading and will graded cards as "authentic" which might have a slight trim or color touch, thus the card can have a nice presentation in its holder. The only problem I have ever had with GAI (other than losing my 25 E98s after grading when UPS deep 6'd them) is the "floating" issue. This has been discussed before and I didn't have any floaters this time around with cards I graded at National. I know that SGC vintage cards probably go for more but if you truly buy the card for the card itself, GAI is an acceptable option.

Archive
08-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>what do you mean by floating? Is that when the card is easily moved within the holder?

Archive
08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Floating in its worst form means the card gets outside of the parameters of the black "framing" holder and floats around the inside of the slab. Very frustrating.

Archive
08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Posted By: <b>PHISHERMAN</b><p>I have had tobacco cards that I cracked out of an SGC holder and submitted to gai that came back as trimmed, so I don't quite understand everyones faith in SGC. They also largely discount centering when grading and that is inexcusable.

Archive
08-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Larry</b><p>As far as service goes, GAI is the best company you can deal with..They truly care what collectors and dealers say, all three major services have their pluses and minuses but GAI is the best at being courteous to the customer no matter how much they spend. <br /><br />The end of the holder with the printed info makes finding and sorting garded cards much easier..Their gaskets can use some work but if the card "floats" they immediately will resolve at no charge....<br /><br />Having three major quality vintage grading services keeps the other two always on their toes o/w we would probably pay more for grading services. Competition amongst grading services helps all of us because at least there is a choice.<br /><br />PSA keeps their grading fees dowm because of GAI...SGC has a different and unique marketing concept...all three have an important niche for dealers and collectors alike, whether or not we like everything or anything about them...<br /><br />