PDA

View Full Version : t206 gai mint 9 eddie plank on ebay

Archive
07-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5221591288&category=106178&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5221591288&category=106178&rd=1</a> very interesting 0 feedback,found mint in a box of cards,located in fiji.

Archive
07-20-2005, 04:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I wonder if there is a GAI 9 Plank. The picture looks like some photo editing to me. Too bad GAI doesn't have an accessable pop report. <br /><br />Brian

Archive
07-20-2005, 05:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Seth B.</b><p>The huge, snow-white borders and the color mark it as a reprint. I think it's from a commonly found reprint series of Magee, Wagner, Plank with a short bio of the rare card on the back. You can find them often floating around in auctions. (Here's another, correctly identified: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5201571158&category=86841&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5201571158&category=86841&rd=1</a> ). <br />A picture of the back would erase any lingering curiousity, but it is especially odd that it's not noted as a reprint on the GAI holster.<br /><br />Seth

Archive
07-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Of course it's fake. Even me (a novice) knows that. Can't the ebay people get this listing removed ?

Archive
07-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I think the people at GAI should be made aware of this, since it clearly is a strike against their reputation. This is lawsuit territory.

Archive
07-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Gee, a zero feedback seller located in Fiji selling an obvious reprint of a ridiculously expensive card. Hmm..you pay with paypal, they take the funds out and then close the account...hmm....gee, do you think that is how this will work?

Archive
07-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Good, it appears someone got it removed<br /><br />Brian

Archive
07-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Posted By: <b>deleted</b><p> Could one of you experts help this novice take note of these reprints on E-bay. I simply do not know what to look for on these scans to discern an original vs. a reproduction. Are you simply limited to graded cards? Surely not every seller on e-bay knows to have their cards graded? Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I think I have been burned a lot here lately on E-bay. The 51 and 52 Mantles are confusing as heck too. Thanks in advance to anyone with some help.

Archive
07-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>when it comes to big ticket cards, stick to reputable sellers. It would seem that the scammers are getting a bit more sophisticated and photoshopping cards in slabs, so even slabbed cards aren't a safe bet on ebay anymore. <br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
07-22-2005, 06:46 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>unless it came from a dealer I'd dealt with in the past and who is establisged as a major full-time dealer. And, when it comes to popular but not rare cards (like the Mantle cards referenced above), I would not purchase them at all except from an auction house or in person from an established dealer. One other rule of thumb: baseball cards don't travel well. Sellers in Fiji, Italy, etc., places with no baseball tradition, don't have hidden stockpiles of cards that a lucky few people manage to find and put up for sale on ebay. Just skip them. You will be happier.

Archive
07-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p> Thanks for the responses. Is there any sort of smoking gun to look for on these cards? Say with respect to the 52 Mantle? Is there simply 1 or 2 things that the fakes simply can't replicate? Finally, are these reproductions worth anything (other than whomever gets scammed on e-bay---like me)? Thanks.

Archive
07-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Smoking Gun #1: Beware of sellers named Toni selling incredibly valuable cards for improbably cheap prices.<br />