PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Scoring Question

Archive
07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh</b><p>We're having a debate in the auction office...<br /><br />this just happened in a Nationals game last week and I am still unsure of how it is officially scored.<br /><br />The pitcher is at the plate, hitting for himself. He has a 2-1 count on him and he tries to bunt. The ball is fouled off the ground and comes back up and hits him in the eye. He cannot continue his at bat, so they bring in a pinch hitter for him.<br /><br />The pinch hitter takes one pitch for a strike out. Is the strike out given to the original batter who left with a 2-2 count on him or to the guy that took the one final strike?<br /><br />While we're there, say the new batter took two pitches for a walk...would that be credited to the original batter who took the first two balls or the second batter who took the last two?<br /><br />I figure there is no better place to ask this question than on this board.<br /><br />thanks in advance.<br />Josh<br />Huggins and Scott Auctions

Archive
07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>i believe the batter (in both cases) who finished the at-bat is given the credit for the strikeout or walk.<br />when a pitcher is pulled mid ab, i think the rule is two pitches then the stats go to him, one pitch the stats go to the reliever. <br />this is all from a BAD memory, so please correct my errors/omissions.

Archive
07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There were two strikes on the pitcher, only one on the replacement. Does two trump one?

Archive
07-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>I believe Andy is right.I was at a minor league game where a guy actually got thrown out of a 2-1 game in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and a 3-2 count,with runners on base.Some poor PHer had to come off the bench right into the situation most kids pretend about when they play.He ended up striking out swinging on the next pitch and it was credited to the batter who got thrown out for arguing a strike call

Archive
07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Glenn</b><p>So entering the game in that situation, does he only get an official at-bat if he gets a hit? 1-for-1 if he gets a hit, 0-for-0 if he doesn't? I just thought of a way to get Sammy Sosa's average up to .400.

Archive
07-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>No Glen,if he flies out or grounds out its credited to the PHer,only a strikeout or walk wouldnt be credited to the PHer

Archive
07-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Glenn</b><p>That makes more sense.

Archive
07-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>If a player pinch hits for a batter who already has two strikes on him and then strikes out the strikeout is credited to the first batter. If the first batter had only one strike on him the strikeout is credited to the pinch hitter. A pinch hitter who enters the game and walks, regardless of the prior count, is credited with the walk.