PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: I have a scam e-mail

Archive
06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Chad</b><p>Hey folks. I was an underbidder on the Toleteros Leon Day auction that finishes this morning. I just received an e-mail saying that the high bidder can't pay for the card and that I can have it at a 10% discount. The problem is, I know the seller's name is Jon and I actually know the high bidder--we correspond about Latin cards all the time--and there's no way in hell he doesn't have the money. It's obvious to me something underhanded is going on. What should I do about this? I;ve already e-mailed the winning bidder, but, like I said, I already know he's going to tell me it's BS.<br /><br />--Chad

Archive
06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Report it to ebay, sounds like someone has hijacked the seller's account.

Archive
06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Texas Ted</b><p>The seller's account has not necessarily been hijacked. This is called a phishing attempt to get you to send vital information, or money as a scam. They make up emails, and even websites to look like legitimate parts of ebay, but they are not. Go to ebay's safety area and read about it, and forward the email you got to spoof@ebay.com and they will tell you for sure.<br><br>Texas Ted<br />

Archive
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Chad</b><p>Thanks for the info.<br /><br />--Chad

Archive
06-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>I got the exact same message yesterday regarding a very expensive 30's wrapper that I was an underbidder on a couple of weeks ago. Same stuff: "high bidder couldn't come up with the money,etc". Funny thing was that I had just finished talking to the high bidder and he was telling me that he had received the wrapper and how much he liked it. I have to admit that it was one of the best fake eBay emails I've seen, though.

Archive
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Chad</b><p>They're going to look into it. Ah well. I know I've mentioned this before, but I can't wait for the National when I can hold these cards in my hand before I buy them.<br /><br />--Chad

Archive
06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Wesley</b><p>Chad, Ebay is just going to confirm what you already know; the email is a phishing scam. The important thing is that you do not click on any link or punch in your name or password. Your ebay account is connected to a lot of financial information. Sometimes these scams ask you to send money, but more often, they are meant to retrieve your credit card and bank information from ebay for possible identity theft.

Archive
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Chad, there's a problem with your n54 account. I was asked to have you post your credit card information and mother's maiden name here to verify your information.<br /><br />

Archive
06-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Chad</b><p>I was kind of hoping Ebay would be more proactive and actually try to catch the scammer in the act and then prosecute, but I guess that's asking too much. I'll just delete the e-mail and be more wary in the future. Talk about easy crime, tho. All reward and no risk of prosecution! I'm in the wrong business.<br /><br />--Chad

Archive
06-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave H</b><p>I have been getting alot of the same emails over the last few days.