PDA

View Full Version : Trimmed card price values

Archive
06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>The following link pretty much confirms that GAI will encapsulate an authentic card that is trimmed. I give them partial credit because they have assigned it as authentic but I also think that they should have documented the fact that the card is (more than likely, obviously, pretty good chance of it) TRIMMED. <br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=106178&item=5213265895&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=106178&item=5213265895&rd=1</a><br />The asking price for this nice looking T205 Johnson is $975 (BIN) or start bidding at $925. What value does this card actually hold in the eyes of REAL collectors? <br /><br />I like the idea of grading services providing the AUTHENTIC label but I think they need to be more responsible with the desgination. An unknowing person may be led to believe that since the card didn't meet a certain grade that the submitter wanted it labeled as AUTHENTIC so that a lower grade would not detract from a potential buyers interest. <br /><br />Four questions:<br /><br />1) What is the relative value of a trimmed card to it's untrimmed counterpart graded at VG-EX?<br /><br />2) As collectors do you feel that the AUTHENTIC label might be a little misleading (unless the grading service provides details of any evidence of tampering, restoration, etc?<br /><br />3) Would you purchase such a card (authentic but trimmed)? <br /><br />4) Would you pay more to have card labeled as authentic and have the grading service list the details of any evidence of tampering, restoration, etc? <br /><br />I only wish the seller would have listed it as possibly trimmed rather than "narrow".

Archive
06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i like it but i think they should label it as trimmed/recolored...etc. i think the seller should use the word trimmed also.but they do mention it is narrow.trimmed would make the seller look better i think to us here. i would rather own a trimmed t or e card in nice shape than a really bad poor. i might be in the minority here.i would also love to own a lot of really poor graded or ungraded cards also.as long as they are real.i would guess the value about the same as good to vg.

Archive
06-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p>One man's opinion is the value of a trimmed card is 10% of a ExMt example....of course depends on how much trimming took place and how the card looks....much more leniant on scarce issues than say a 33 Goudey.

Archive
06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>I would value this card around 20% of book or $800...the seller is not too far off actually...the trim is not horrible and the rest of the card is very nice.<br /><br />My opinion as a T-205 collector...<br /><br />Joshua

Archive
06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Don J</b><p>$900 seems pretty high to me. The last PSA 2 and SGC 30 closed in the $330-$375 range. I'd probably pay about a quarter of that for a trimmed card like the Johnson and only then because it is a highly desirable card.

Archive
06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Lyle Jobe</b><p>with the last poster . I think that if the value is not sufficiently penalized , intentional altering of some PSA 1's or 2's might occur . I agree though that in the case of highly desirable cards ( eg.T210 Jackson ) , all bets are off .

Archive
06-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Larry</b><p>Hello to Network 54 Members...<br />We wanted to inform all members that as requested, we revised our recent E Bay listing to contain trimmed, "not narrow" although we felt narrow implied the same, since we did not grade the card...We purchased item in a T205 graded lot and this GAI Authentic ruled out any possibility that card was deemed to be a reprint, the fact that it did not have numerical grade was never misrepresented..Many of the members here transact with us and we have many loyal and fantastic customers here...We are proud of our 99.9% positive feedback on high end quality vintage Baseball items...over 2500 transactions<br /><br />The current value of this card well exceeds what PSA places it in the SMR which is NOT REALISTIC..We would pay well over book for a gradeable T205 Johnson or any HOFer card in ex/mt to nm(6 or 7)..A collector can own this ex/mt appearence card(but trimmed and or miscut) for a fraction of a graded SGC,PSA or GAI 6 or 7...We feel that it is fairly priced but we did adjust price slightly lower to reflect our respect for this network..Thank you

Archive
06-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Wow, out of the blue Larry G (the seller of the subject item - T205 Johnson) emailed me because he saw the post on N54. The item description has been revised with more information. Larry lowered the price and included the word TRIM in the item description. <br /><br />What a class act!

Archive
06-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>To Larry for reading the board and changing the description even when nobody was really harping on the auction. Good guys still are around.

Archive
06-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Thanks Larry.....that, my friend, is the way to win customers and make friends. Welcome to the board. Hopefully you will stick around and join in some of our reindeer games .......We've probably all bought from you at one time or the other. Keep up the good work !!!! regards ....