PDA

View Full Version : Placing a value on a card to be graded

Archive
06-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Ed McCollum</b><p>I've never had a card graded. And with the economics of my family, I haven't even purchased a t-206 in over three years. But I do have several cards I would be interested in having graded, not so much for the grade, but the encapsulation and the assurance that someday, when I'm gone, if my son wanted to sell the cards, the buyer would know they were real. <br /><br />None of my cards are great. The best might rate a vg/e, the majority would be fair. But some are tougher to find....a Broadleaf 460, a Drum, Uzit, ....all the major brand backs except the Cobb, some with HOFers on the face. O'Hara and Demmitt too. Fifteen to twenty years ago when I bought most of these, and considering the shape they are in, they cost a fraction of what they would today. And to me, I'm not concerned with what they are worth. I bought them because I wanted them. <br /><br />But when I look at the on-line submission form for SCG, the cost to grade a card, and the turn around time is based on the value of the card. Is it necessary to least a high value to protect yourself if the cards are lost during shipping either there or back, or can you just say "Twelve years ago, I picked up this Broadleaf for $35, and while sentimental, that is really all it is worth to me". And when you get in to less than perfect, or excellent, or even good cards, how do you determine a value? Any suggestions, (besides selling anyone the Broadleaf 460 for $35) are appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Ed

Archive
06-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>use current values. the cost to grade may increase, but if anything is lost you will need proper accurate paperwork. you do not need to be completely accurate, ballpark will do. hope that helps.

Archive
06-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I think you would want to estimate a reasonable replacement cost for insurance purposes.