PDA

View Full Version : Should people post reminders on closing auctions?

Archive
06-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>I am a firm believer that there is a "hidden" rule NOT to do this. I will list some pros and cons to support my opinion.<br /><br />PROS:<br /><br />1. Reward people who follow all the auctions and keep up with them. <br /><br />2. Many people who consign use it to promote an auction to get more bids on their lots. This should be done in the B/S/T thread.<br /><br />3. A seperate section on this board should be created that lists ALL SMALL and BIG auctions so everyone is on a level playing field.<br /><br />4. How do you think CCA (John Burk), Rob's Japenesse, and Jaskson's feel when noone post about their auctions closing.<br /><br />5. It's OK to educate people about the hobby.. But you don't have to tell them what to buy and when to do it... With the way prices are going... The playing fields are changing and 20% of the buyers are making up probally 80% of the sales. <br /><br />6. Everyone reading this I bet has a story of a lot they won at a GREAT price. How would you like it to be advertised to 1000 qualified buyers who might not have known about the auction???? IE.. I won a Peck & Snider card two years ago for 5K... The auction was listed in the classifieds in a trade publication. <br /><br />CON: <br /><br />1. This is a board of information. Everyone should be sharing all their information.<br /><br />2. Items in current auctions can be talked about... However, by doing so will either really hurt it or really help it... NO IN BETWEEN. <br /><br /><br />

Archive
06-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>the people buying AND selling are generally our collector buddies. So I think it's a toss-up. Personally, I'd rather we kept mum since I don't sell through major auction houses, but my friends do...so.

Archive
06-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>I don't think auction notices should be posted here. B/S/T thread is okay, but not here. I also don't believe ebay auctions should be outed here. I applaud Leon for pulling the Leland's notice last night.

Archive
06-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I happen to find the listings helpful since there are so many auctions nowadays and I am just busy enough that I forget about them from time to time.

Archive
06-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>with the size of this board, it's members growing daily (maybe weekly)....i'm very suprised that the smaller auctions don't update the link on the "auction sites" to list their starting and ending times. example "19th century only" just has seth's name. no start or end dates...and he has an auction running right now.<br />and there are many, many small auctions not linked. that shocks me.....passing up free advertising????<br />can that portion of the site be improved? any thoughts?<br />to answer jc's question, i'm for sharing all auction information....but i suspect i'm in the minority.

Archive
06-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>I think a special section for auction companies should be created on the board. This might motivate the auction companies to participate more on the board (than being a lurker). Plus they could always keep us up todate on their auctions. I know this is a very informative board and that is the reason of the popularity. I just don't like handing someone all the info without aquiring it.. <br /><br />My analogy is from the Jurassic Park movie that Jeff Goldblum said "If you don't earn it, how can you respect it".... More people now in the hobby/investment world are using another term from the same movie that Richard Attenborough (old man w/money) said "We spared no expense"

Archive
06-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I don't have a problem with auction starts and endings being noted on this board. <br /><br />I think it's okay for a smaller auction to post on this board that they have a new auction. I figure these small auctions can reasonably have two posts for a long auction-- one when it started a second reminder near the end.<br /><br />I don't have a problem with a consigner overtly and even proudly saying, "Lot #988 is mine consigment." ... Whenever a board member tries to covertly promote one of his lots, it's obvious to most what is going on.<br /><br />That's just my point of view, and if the board majority or powers that be wishes to do differently that's okay by me. If the powers that be feel that the auctions link is sufficient for that type of info, I will accept that.<br /><br />If a board member has a hush hush auction question about an item that is in my area, I'm happy to give opinions via email and keep quiet about it. Most of my expendatures are in non-sport, and I think it's been twice ever that someone asked me advice about an auction lot I was actively interested in. <br /><br />I remember perhaps three years ago a board member (he knows who he is) pointed out to me in the chat room a Smokey Joe Wood autographed original 1910s Charles Conlon photo (Conlon's stamp and signature on back) with Wood's signature personalized to the legendary autograph collector Jeff Morey. The seller, a prominent autograph dealer, was merely selling the item as a Wood autograph and clearly had no concept of the significant of an original Colon photo or even that it was an original Conlon. I thanked the board member for the tip and pounced on that baby. Some time later I thought, "You know, maybe this board memeber wasn't asking my opinion photo so I could bid on it." ... Anyway, I've become more perceptive about the subtlties of human communication. But to be safe, I request that all email inquiries about lots the emailer is interesting in purchasing have the header: "Me bid. David no bid."

Archive
06-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Wesley</b><p>I really appreciate it when others point out major auctions that are ending soon. There have been quite a few auctions lately and it is so easy to overlook one or two or simply forget the ending times.<br /><br />Perhaps if you disallow pointing out information about major auctions, we should also disallow information about ebay auctions. I think directing people to a specific auction on ebay is even worse and goes even further in thwarting good deals. While calling attention to the Leland auction is simply general information, directing collectors to an ebay auction is specific information.<br /><br />It is not as if someone pointed out a specific item in the Lelands auction. Someone just pointed out the major auctin itself and I see no harm in doing this. I realize that this is sometimes a very selfish hobby and for some this is a business, but if we can't even direct our friends to good general information, then I think we have gone overboard.

Archive
06-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>Jim brings up some very good points. As a collector on somewhat of a budget any extra attention to a lot or auction could spell disaster. But with the same token Wes has an even better point. Many times I’ve been watching a lot on ebay that is mislabeled or not getting attention etc. Then only to have a fellow board member post the direct ebay link for everyone here to see really kills. <br /><br />I think a general reminder about a major auction ending is ok as long as we are not posting links to specific lot numbers or details it shouldn’t harm anyone’s chances of winning. <br />

Archive
06-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>I don't think the board is the place to do it. I think a nice reminder on the links page to the starting and ending dates of auctions is fine, but I certainly don't like to see big blaring reminders of auctions closing when I have my bids in already. If you have consignments in the auction then put that information in the B/S/T threads. I completely agree on the ebay auctions. I hate seeing ebay auctions outed here.

Archive
06-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>I think items on Ebay and in auctions should be discussed both good and bad. Where I'm going with this thread is that there should be a hidden rule where you don't talk about an auction during the closing hours. It is already hard enough to find a good buy since 90% of the market is now online...In the old days, you could go to a flea market, antique store, card shop or local show to find a treasure... Those days are pretty much over. <br /><br />I don't think the people who are high on lots want all the publicity on that auction. In a perfect world, Leon and Bob spend massive amounts of time finding Ebay treasures. Should they bid on it to allow other people to see that item before it closes to be outbid at the end????? Just like if there was a US Marshall's auction on rare items that they only advertised in the local newspaper.. Should that be posted as well??? <br /><br />I think setting up a new auction only section would be the way to go where the company can keep it updated. They probally would get more involved with our discussions and offer network54 board members consessions (consign fees, shipping, personal attention to questions). We are very powerful as a group. <br /><br />If a new section is set up... We could have threads before, during and after the auction. Plus a rating system would be nice as well where it would fluxuate during the year. I know I could not wait to fill out my rating thru the VCBC every year.

Archive
06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>After some serious contemplation I am still on the fence on this one. I don't think asking everyone "not" to post about auctions, or even specific things, is something that should be moderated. One of the "on" topic discussions can be vintage card related. I would think that the auctions are newsworthy and vintage baseball card related. That would make them able to be talked about in my opinion. Do I think folks should keep quiet right before an auction ends? Part of me says "yes" and part says "no". I would lean a little more towards the keep it quiet crowd as I am a collector first.... I don't know if I should moderate it though......it's a slippery slope for many, many reasons.... regards

Archive
06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Daniel Bretta</b><p>I don't think it should be moderated Leon. I just think it should be common courtesy. Honestly I haven't really even noticed much of a problem with this at all.

Archive
06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>one way that it is not good in doing is when one is just trying to get recognized or gain credibility as a pre war person and they sit there with 1 t206 common and 500 85 topps.....then post as if they are a participant in that auction.<br /><br />Nearly all regulars know of every major auctin going on , but a couple of key cards in small auctions should be kept quiet until it is over. Afterall, most of us have allies to inform us of our needs. When a person exposes these situations, it may cost that one key follower of an item dearly.<br /><br />I guess there are no rules.<br /><br />Good evening<br />Dan

Archive
06-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I can't remember the last time I outed a big auction lot on this board and I will be sensitive to those who don't like the practice, but I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks it's a dingbat idea that collectors on a baseball card chat board can't bring up a MastroNet or Lew Lipset auction.

Archive
06-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>I agree 100% with the Mastro Leland REA and Lew's....<br /><br />then it should become a little guarded.

Archive
06-27-2005, 06:02 AM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>I’m kind of new to the whole auction thing I guess. But I really don’t see a problem with auctions being discussed. Dan McKee mentioned Heritage Auctions not too long ago about what a nice job they were doing. I decided to look into it, as I had never bid with them before, last night I won some cards I had needed for some time. If not for it being posted and discussed I might have missed the boat. <br /><br />Also don’t most all of these auction houses have rules about bidding on lots in the final hours if you had not placed bids before the close of the auction?<br />

Archive
06-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I like to know when auctions are ending. I too cannot keep track of the insane number of auctions today. This board is very helpful and has helped me by reminding me certain auctions are ending. I had to ask the Burk's to send out email reminders on the last day as I missed their 1st ending day. I would think an auction house would want any advantage they can get with the large amount of competition.