PDA

View Full Version : If you don't have it, buy an ACC

Archive
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>There really is a lot of great data in there, some of which eludes even present day experts. I have been searching for info on what seemed to be a 1920s gum set that no one seems to have ever heard of. I asked nonsports experts, googled it, etc., but found squat. I then went back to the ACC. I figured it was an "R" set but no luck there or an "album" set as Burdick termed it because it is arcade card sized and on similar stock, but no luck there either. I then started going through the various other sections that could feasibly have the cards and found it. E282 Oh Boy Gum.

Archive
06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Very ture. The ACC is indespensible if you collect more than just baseball cards. I forget the exact title, but the book on 19c tobacco cards is also a must for those interested in cards other than baseball. I always had a cursory interest in 19c non-sports when I was young, but when I got this book, I was hooked. Just wish I had not tossed it out with all my other card reference material.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
06-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>Adam: Not sure which nonsports experts you ran it by but I would think anyone who specialized in prewar nonsports would have answered this one for you pretty quickly. For vintage nonsports, valuable accessories to the ACC are several of the Sport American Nonsports guides by Chris Benjamin. In particular the one with the white cover which deals with the R cards and the one with the purple cover which also covers many of the E cards (though not the Goudey movie stars you had).

Archive
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I waited 8 years to get one. That was 8 years too long. It gives a great idea of where baseball cataloguing started. Very informative. It would be neat to do an official update. Volunteers? regards

Archive
06-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I'm game, but I am nor sure of what assistance I could be. I just like the idea of helping out on the project.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
06-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>Are you talking about Burdick's catalog? I picked one up on ebay a few months ago, the copyright is 1953. These are hard to come by aren't they.<br /><br />Joe

Archive
06-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>Joe: Yes, this is Burdick's catalog. The edition you got (1953) is hard to come by. There are two earlier editions that are even harder to come by. The edition most people refer to is the 1960 edition. Those can be had on eBay but are becoming a little pricey. A more cost effective way is to get one of the paperback reprints. One was done in 1967 and there were one or two others later. The ACC itself was never updated after the 1960 edition, but a group of old time collectors (headed by Buck Barker I think) kept Burdick's Card Collector's Bulletin going for quite a while after 1960. In the Card Collector's Bulletin, newly discovered sets were designated with new ACC numbers, I guess in anticipation of a new edition that never occurred.

Archive
06-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>It isn't in the Benjamin books (I bought both used) and it was a complete mystery set to me. I bought about a dozen of the cards because I liked the way they looked and found out that Oh Boy Gum was a Goudey product.