PDA

View Full Version : Authorities halt baseball game

Archive
06-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Not sure if anyone else saw this, but figured it would be of interest to our contigent of Cuban fans.<br /><br />U.S. Baseball Game Halted by Authorities<br />Los Angeles Times<br />June 23, 2005<br /><br />Cuban authorities took away baseball bats, balls and gloves from Cuban youths to keep them from playing with U.S. officials in Havana, the State Department said.<br /><br />When the Americans, who one official said were chiefly Marines who guard the U.S. interests section in Havana, tried to use their own equipment to play, the authorities stopped the youths from entering the field.<br /><br />"This is a normal and a good thing, I think, to have interactions with locals, to help support democracy and human rights activists," State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said. "The Cuban government didn't think so, however." <br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive
06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Damian Anderson</b><p>That sucks!

Archive
06-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Chad</b><p>Our government has been fairly hostile to the Castro regime. I don't think we should expect any goodwill there. (By the way, Cuba is an incredible place to visit. If you get a chance to go, especially before the embargo ends and the resort comapinies take over, I'd do it. This goes triple if you scuba at all--the reefs are pristine. The people there are incredibly friendly, especially if you get off the beaten track. I can't wait for Castro to either die, or for us to finally lift the embargo so I can get back there again. I didn't meet many baseball fans tho, strangely enough and I didn't think to look for baseball cards because I didn't know they had any, to my eternal regret.)<br /><br />--Chad