PDA

View Full Version : Print and Reprint

Archive
06-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>I know that the reprint posts are getting old. However, the more that these are pointed out, the less people will get taken.<br /><br />I find it amusing that the seller claims not to know anything about the card and ensures he's not a dealer. Yet, he's able to identify the set and grade of the card. <br /><br />Garage sales, granny's attic, tearing down an old house, where do the stories end?<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86839&item=5209978490&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86839&item=5209978490&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW</a>

Archive
06-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Moraine</b><p>THE #1 REASON WHY I STAY AWAY FROM EBAY! AND DO NOT USE EBAY! CROOKS AND LOW-LIFES PASSING OFF SCARCE AND VALUABLE CARDS AS AUTHENTIC. SOME SMUCK (LIKE MYSELF), WHO HAS NEVER SEEN AN AUTHENTIC OLD JUDGE IN PERSON, WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BID ON THE DAMN THING AND GOTTEN SCREWED OUT OF SERIOUS $$$ IN THINKING THEY HAD HIT THE JACKPOT. <br /><br />BEST REGARDS,<br /><br />ADAM J. MORAINE

Archive
06-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>You just have to educate yourself on how to purchase vintage cards on ebay. Virtually my entire T206 collection has been built via ebay, and I have never ....not once.... purchased a reprint thinking it was real. Now, does that mean I never will? Perhaps I'll eventually get taken. But you can usually spot the fakes a miile away. <br /><br />I don't collect OJ's, but this auction is a dead loser for one reason alone -- bidder's e-mail addresses are kept private. The only reason sellers do this is to keep educated collectors from contacting less educated bidders and tipping them off to the scam.<br /><br />Beginning bidders should use this board as a sounding board for potential bids on questionable material. Don't put down more than $50 on a card without knowing what you're doing.<br /><br />

Archive
06-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73433&item=5210482223&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73433&item=5210482223&rd=1</a> i guess the quality of lazer printers in 1938 was not what it is today.

Archive
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>Adam's to the point angst Rules!<br /><br />I WILL never buy from a private auction. It's tough to base an opinion on a scan like this. At least I can't. What we look at is the sales tactic, the private feedback, the $9 starting bid, the inventory loaded with other OJ's and of course the story. <br /><br />My favorite thing about this particular sale is the different opinions gathered within the text and the order it's place...where an uneducated buyer may stop reading after 'his/her Uncle' said it look authentic!:<br /><br />Pro (with possibility)<br />They had other cards as well, and a few old newspapers(a Harpers Weekly from 1874 that has a picture of Cap Anson in it)...I did consult an acquaintance who collects older cards and he said everything looks authentic..thickness, age wear, color, print, card stock etc<br /><br />Con (later in the text)<br /><br />(Although, he was floored when I showed them to him at how original they did look. I always considered them to be authentic. He did say it is difficult to 100% say either way if they are authentic or replicas of some sort, but his conclusion was that they were probably some sort of awesome looking replica/reprint. So to avoid anyone being upset I will list them as amazing looking replicas/reprints that will certainly make a fine addition to a collection to display at home).<br /><br />The key here is: I will list them as amazing looking replicas/reprints!<br /><br />My question to the Board is: Are there quality Old Judge Reproductions out there? <br /><br />I know there is a set available (I think they came in sets of ten) that had a write up about the player on the back, but never saw any outside of scans. <br /><br />DJ

Archive
06-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>I'd be tempted. very toned, but otherwise, very real looking. Anyone else find this card convincing looking? How about that 1874 Harper's--is he auctioning that, or does he just mention ir in passing---impressive, either way.<br /><br />Not your typical scammer. Smarter!

Archive
06-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>in Galvin, and the "Good"win & Co, right underneath!

Archive
06-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>otherwise a very nice fake. The private auction is a tip-off.