PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Pop Reports

Archive
06-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>I just starting thinking (I know, dangerous), how does SGC and PSA maintain accurate population reports when cards are being submitted for crossover? It would seem that many of the numbers are inflated.<br /><br />Also, I can't seem to find a pop report for Global.

Archive
06-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>you have just hit the nail on the head as to why they are meaningless

Archive
06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>and do forget all the cards that get cracked out and resubmitted in hopes of getting higher grade. If no 9 exists for a card, how many of the 8s have been cracked out and resubmitted in hopes of getting the first 9. Expand this to any other number combination.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
06-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Is there a better way to measure population? The only other way I can think of is constantly looking out for auctions and cards for sale to see how many cards in those high grades are really for sale. But even that is randomized if many of the cards are in private not-for-sale collections.

Archive
06-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave H</b><p>The only way to use those reports with any meaning is to take them both added together and understand that this is the most possible number of cards in this particular grade but the true number of cards is likely to be lower to an unknown degree. <br /><br />At least those reports will always overestimate the true number of cards at a given level, they will never underestimate, which is a plus.

Archive
06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>over estimate isn't the word, didn't PSA grade more of some McGwire card than was even printed?

Archive
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The population can and will be underestimated until such time that all cards are in a slab. Who knows how many high grade cards still reside unslabbed in collections or hidden in boxes somewhere.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
06-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Population relation reports can under estimate, there are collectors out there (Julie comes to mind) that crack out cards from holders. So it is possible to underestimate. Obviously nmot the whole population of the card.<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive
06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>I'll bite. Why would a pop report understimate in the case where Julie cracks open a slab? Is there some electronic signal sent back to PSA when the case is cracked telling them to remove the card from the pop report?

Archive
06-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I think my illiterate brother meant overestimate, since someone like Julie freeing a card from it's slab has the same effect as someone cracking it out to resubmit, except Julie doesn't increase the pop any until she sells it and someone else slabs it.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave H</b><p>It will always be overestimated. However, as Jay points out, it only overestimates the number of cards that have been slabbed, not the true population including raw cards. kind of an oxymoron (sp?) yet still can lead to some useful information

Archive
06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Bottom of the Ninth</b><p>When I crack out cards I send all flips back to the appropriate grading company. Having been at GAI's office I know they too collect the flips from crossovers and send them back to PSA or SGC. What the companies do with the flips once they are received is an entirely different matter. I get the feeling from PSA and their exuberance for letting the hobby know how many cards they have graded, that they may not remove cards from the Pop Report under the above described circumstances.<br /><br />GAI does not yet have an online Pop Report.