PDA

View Full Version : Jewish player cards

Archive
06-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>As with many sets, there are some baseball cards which fall into this grouping which are difficult to obtain. One which I recently came across is Steve Behel from the OJ spotted ties subset.<br /><br />Which other cards make completion of this set difficult?

Archive
06-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Since I'm a brand new collector of vintage cards of Jewish players, I, too, have the same question.<br /><br />Alan<br />Jewish sports collector/archivist<br />

Archive
06-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>It seems those who have delved deepest into the history of Jewish ballplayers have "removed" Behel from the "list." He is not included in the 2003 Jewish Major Leaguers card set, nor in the definitive "Big Book of Jewish Baseball". As a consequence of significantly lowered demand, the value of his "dotted tie" N172 has dropped considerably.

Archive
06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>I hope he doesn't read this board, I'd hate to see a bolt of lightening from above (or a fireball from below).<br /><br />But what? He has been un-Jewished?<br /><br />Posthumously<br /><br />My reference is a Barry Sloate Auction of about two years ago, in which an apparent vg/ex example sold for about $11,000. Has this card dropped substantially in value? - never mind - you have indicated that it has dropped significantly.<br /><br />I find myself intrigued by the power to decide that a man's apparent choice of religeous beliefs is somehow invalidated after his death. To my thinking this choice is a covenant between man and God, not subject to approval by any other authority. But I am not versed in the Jewish faith, nor are these ramblings relevant to the intended focus of this thread. Thank you for your indulgence.

Archive
06-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Maybe it's a conspiracy to lower the price of all Behel's N172 cards in an effort to scoop them up inexpensively. Then after the market has been cornered Behel will be "unexcommunicated" back into the Jewish faith and Jewish baseball player catalogues and the price of his cards will rapidly increase as market demand dictates. Mission accomplished. <br /><br />Then again, maybe it was just an honest mistake. <br /><br />

Archive
06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>(As I remember, Behel's cards went waaay over 11K before the mistake was discovered.)<br /><br />My guess is that someone thought Behel sounded Jewish; perhaps others with the same last name were identified as Jewish. Then that particular Behel's descendants spoke up and pointed to baptismal records, or simply stated that their "Behel" line was NOT Jewish--and so, one less Jewish ballplayer...<br /><br />What is a ballplayer who was born Jewish and converted to some other religion? I'm strictly a Moe Berg, Koufax and Greenberg ( with some T202 Klings thrown in) person myself, though I am Jewish (nobody could ever accuse ME of being a ballplayer, or even a softball player...just ask my teammates in gym class).

Archive
06-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Well thank you Julie for clearing up my misunderstanding of what had happened regarding this player. I somehow feel relieved that it was, as the Judge had speculated, a simple mistake.<br /><br />Although those who purchased this OJ at inflated prices can not be overjoyed at this finding, we all recognize that there are gains to be made and losses to be taken while our hobby is immature.<br /><br />And Julie, I find that you play ball real well with us. Particularly regarding your selected assortment of pitches (including Scrapps, Fan Craze, et al.).<br /><br />So what Jewish player cards are most difficult to obtain?

Archive
06-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p><a href="http://www.julievognar.com/home" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.julievognar.com/home</a>