PDA

View Full Version : New Scam! Looks like Ebay BE CAREFUL

Archive
06-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Congratulations on becoming a powerseller ! an email like this is just another way to get you to enter your information through a link. Ebay will not ask you to do this from an email but only from their site. Dan.

Archive
06-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>account password was screwed up today. I NEVER mess with those emails so I wonder how it could have been messed up. Anyway, I have about 40-50 items on there right now and nothing new has been added, so it wasn't hijacked. Anyway, I did this live update thing and it worked GREAT and they were very helpful to get me up and running again. They need to give some of these idiots life in prison for some of this crap they're pulling..........

Archive
06-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Texas Ted</b><p>I have been getting at least two emails a day that claim to be from either ebay or paypal. All are attempts to get my information. It just does not pay to follow any links anymore to anything, even if it is something you think you want to go to. It makes sense to go to the website independently, and find the link, instead of following one in an email. You never really know where you are going with those links. Not only can they lead you down phishing lane, but you can also get viruses or invite hijackers into your computer.<br><br>Texas Ted<br />Starting my third attempt at a second childhood.<br />

Archive
06-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Posted By: <b>qualitycards.com</b><p>I get about 3 dozen of the eBay/Paypal scams a week and lately the PowerSeller ones too! Which struck me as odd, since I'm already one.<br />I always foward these back to eBay or Paypal, and get the reply they these are spoofed Emails.<br />How bout eBay & Paypal prosecute these scam artists? As this is pure Fraud. If you went to a neighbors house and bilked them out of $$$, you go to jail. But if you eBay a fake Honus Wagner T206, or sell a Mantle '52 PSA-10 w/ a stolen scan or contact eBay/Paypal members for their login information & credit card info. Nothing happens to the scum. Their account is just cancelled. How bout some severe jail time for fraud? Wouldn't that be the biggest deterent? <br />If I get several hundred of these scam requests per year as just 1 ebay member. I always wonder how many casual users fall for the scam and end up getting their account hijacked or credit card whacked...jay

Archive
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>They can't do a whole lot about it becuase almost all of these con artists are based in Russia, Indonesia, China and other hotbeds of computer scams and hacking. Very few of these actually come from the US.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
06-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>I got six of them this morning and even received two of these at my business e-mail which doesn't even have an ebay account attached to it. <br /><br />If you get one and you aren't sure about it, you can forward the e-mail to spoof@ebay.com and they'll tell you if it's legit. <br /><br />One of my friends fell for this and he had 40 items up on eBay. The next thing you know, he now has 60 items on eBay with the addition of many computer items and electronic items up for sale. <br /><br />It's sad that nothing can be done about this. <br /><br />DJ