PDA

View Full Version : 1933 WWG Canadian Goudey Variations?

Archive
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Jim F</b><p>Hi, I am just starting to build this set. I have noticed that there are backs with both english/french and just english. Are there 2 backs for each card or do certain cards have certain backs? Thanks Jim

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Geoff Litwack</b><p>I believe that all cards come in both flavors - I've heard that they were printed at different plants. Does anyone know the history?

Archive
05-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank.</b><p>Hello , My first post here.<br /><br />This is a good question but ..<br />The Goudey was made in USA with the english on back.<br />Now you have in your hands not the Goudey buy the WORLD WIDE GUM Co. Exactly like the Goudey's set but with the FRENCH and ENGLISH on back.<br />I have some in my collection (Under graded) 4 and 5 by SGC.<br /><br />I would like more information about this "" Goudey vs WWG".<br />But the most weird with these cards (Canadian) is Ebay and some Dealer. I can't understand why many Dealers call these cards: Goudey CANADIAN. Canadian = WORLD WIDE GUM Co. with the mention in the bottom (back) MONTREAL.<br />For the rest....let me know.<br />Frank.

Archive
05-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>If they call it World Wide Gum, it won't show up in many searches. If the call it Canadian Goudey, it will show up under searches for Goudey.<br /><br />I have dupes of the 33 & 34 set, some graded PSA 7, some graded low PSAs, some ungraded. If anyone's interested, email me at cmoking@yahoo.com<br />

Archive
05-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim F</b><p>Frank...<br /> I know the difference between Goudey and WWG. My question was about WWG backs, some are both in french and english, some are just english. Are there 2 backs per player or do certain players have certain backs? Thanks

Archive
05-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank.</b><p>BINGO! Good question. I realy like this set (1933)but I am working on my 1950 Bowman baseball. I have 2 BEAUTIFUL undergraded 1933 WWG (FRENCH& ENGLISH) not for sale but for TRADE! on my friendly site. Take a look and let me know. Place your vote on my poll.... : )<br /><br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/vintage2trade" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.freewebs.com/vintage2trade</a>/<br /><br />Frank.

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>WWG did the same thing with the '33 Ice Kings and '33 Sea Raiders..some English only and some bi-lingual..perhaps the bilinguals were distributed in Quebec and the English only backs distributed in the other provinces, which are not french speaking.

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim F</b><p>Thanks. I didn't realize that the Ice Kings were like that too.

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank.</b><p>I think that you're close....very close.<br />I live in Quebec and i can remember some "Indian's head" or stuff like that on these cards...but no Baseball. Laval dairy Hockey with Parkhurst was common here. <br />Anyway these Goudey or WWG looks to me like Topps & O-Pee-Chee, here in Quebec. I'm born in 1961 and let me tell you that o-pee chee hockey was the KING here. But Baseball was not very "Hip" in those year. <br />So GOUDEY = WORL WIDE GUM like TOPPS = O-PEE-CHEE..maybe ?<br /><br /><br />

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>The WWG's come with three different backs....English only, French on top, English on top. Each card is available with each of the three different backs. Also note that the fronts are slightly different than the American Goudeys.....deeper colors usually.

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim F</b><p>Thanks Elliot !!

Archive
05-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank.</b><p>Elliot,<br /><br />Do you have a guide for these affirmation ? if so, do you have any idea of the price for each variation or an avrage of what is more scarcer ect..ect..

Archive
05-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>Frank: World Wide Gum was run by the same people that ran Goudey (or to be more accurate, the stock was owned by the principals of Goudey). We discussed this within another thread a few months ago. I know this from the text of a conversation with George Thompson, the last president of Goudey, who had been with the company since the 1920's. WWG was incorporated in May 1933. <br /><br />Sea Raiders come with all three versions for the 1st 24 cards (i.e. Boston - English text, Montreal - English text, Montreal - French and English text), but only the last two versions for cards 25-48 (which are hard as hell to find). In reality, the set designated R124 Sea Raiders by Burdick consists of cards 1-24 with the Boston back. The set with cards 1-48 with the Montreal back is actually a different set designated V359. For the 1933 baseball sets, Burdick designated the US version of 240 cards R319 and the Canadian version as a different set (V353).

Archive
05-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>I would love to see two different backs of the same card side by side. This is an interesting thing that I never realized. I know some of the cards are all english, and some are english/french - but I didn't know that the same card could have different backs.

Archive
05-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim F</b><p>If the Thompson I picked up from you yesterday is french/english, I will show you both side by side as I have an english only one. Jim

Archive
05-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>cool!

Archive
05-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank.</b><p>Hello chuck and hello all!,<br /><br />Great description chuck, thanks.<br />Please take a look to this card and tell me what exactly if this is the hard to find version or not. I'm french and I understand what you said, but sometimes this is more difficult...Thanks.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/vintage2trade" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.freewebs.com/vintage2trade</a>/<br /><br />Thanks for your help.

Archive
05-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank</b><p>This is not a boos for my site but the only way for Mr.CHUCK to see my card (WWG CANADIAN).<br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/vintage2trade" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.freewebs.com/vintage2trade</a>/<br />

Archive
05-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>The error message states that you've exceeded your bandwidth. In any case, if you have a Sea Raider card with number 25 or higher, then you have a very tough card (One card in that 24-card run is notorious for being on everyone's want list, but I don't know why it would be harder to find than the others) If you're talking about '33 Goudey baseball scarcity, I'll have to refer you to the experts on the board. I haven't collected baseball cards in a long time.