PDA

View Full Version : GAI or SGC

Archive
05-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Will</b><p>I have a few cards I was going to get graded, but was undecided on which grading company to use. Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Will

Archive
05-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>If pre-war I would use SGC.<br /><br />Post-war commons probably psa as if you are selling, the set registry makes psa commons the most valuable.<br /><br />Stars probably GAI--in part due to the potential for half-grades. Also better graders than PSA.

Archive
05-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>www.sgccard.com

Archive
05-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>SGC - great looking slabs, consistent grading, great customer service<br /><br />GAI - many of the same attributes but I think that their grading is not quite as consistent. The biggest problem I have with GAI is the movement of the cards in their slabs - I dont like my cards sliding around in the slab which happens routinely with gai. I believe there have been a number of posts in the past on this problem if you care to look it up.

Archive
05-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>They're grading pre-war is as good as it comes, plus their holders are much sturdier and not prone to card slippage.

Archive
05-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>SGC, although I do like the description tag on the top of the GAI holders. <br />

Archive
05-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>JIm.<br /> Are you currently buying GAI or SGC cards???

Archive
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Yes on both.

Archive
05-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Let me rephrase.<br /><br />I have sent cards in to both services for grading in last 30-60 days.<br /><br />I have not bought GAI or SGC cards.

Archive
05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Posted By: <b>WP</b><p>I noticed that you are in need of a 52 Topps Mantle PSA 8. Would you consider the 52 mantle GAI 8 that Mile High is offering sufficient for your set?? Would you be confident in it being graded accuretly and if so, are you confident PSA would assign it the same grade?

Archive
05-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Sufficient--no--trying to do 52 Topps in psa 8 or better.<br /><br />Would PSA assign it the same grade--probably not--they hate GAI and would likely mark it down. I would have to break it out and submit.<br /><br />Dav

Archive
05-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Ncard</b><p>SGC

Archive
05-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I think in general the same card submitted to each service will draw the higgest grade by 1/2 or more from GAI. They're kind of the Russian judges of the grading world, to use an Olympics scoring analogy. So, when I buy cards I look for GAI cards last all other factors being equal and am willing to pay the least for them. I'd also say that although the last few PSA-graded cards I've received have been pretty shoddy for the grade, PSA and SGC are typically within 1/2 grade either way on the average. <br /><br />One thing I did forget is the "wild card" grade. I rarely receive a what-the-hell-is-that-grade from SGC. The last several times I submitted to PSA I got one or two utterly wrong grades.

Archive
05-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>My opinion is somewhat the same as Adam's. I don't like GAI because of all of the stuff I have seen and heard (mainly seen). I won't really buy GAI graded cards for the most part unless I see them in person or it's a low grade card. I think they have issues. I think for resale PSA might be better in the post WWII stuff and they might be about tied with SGC, or a little less, in Pre-WWII stuff. I only send my stuff to SGC as I know the graders, and while I don't always agree with them, they are the most consistent. SGC all the way for personal tastes...although lately unless it's a high dollar card , or it's for resale, I don't get them graded....regards

Archive
05-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Wesley</b><p>For submissions, in the past, I almost exclusively used SGC. Recently, I sent few cards to GAI, and I have to say, there is no noticeable difference in grading standard.<br /><br />For purchases, I purchase cards from GAI, SGC and PSA. There are certainly more cards available graded by PSA for postwar cards. For prewar cards, availability of cards that I collect (mid to low condition cards) are the same for all three companies.

Archive
05-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Greg Ecklund</b><p>If I were to send cards in, I would definitely choose SGC...their grading seems to be the most consistent and their slabs are the most attractive of the three. For buying, I will buy cards graded by any of the companies, but I tend to shy away from GAI if possible because their slabs are more of a pain to break open.

Archive
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I will buy from GAI, PSA, SGC. I send all non-SGC cards to SGC for crossover. I have had a few GAIs and PSAs bump up half a grade and several that have downgraded half a grade. For the GAI's that have gone down, its usually because they were originally assigned a 1/2 grade that is not on SGC's scale - such as a 4.5 or a 3.5. The PSA's that have been downgraded were all because of wrinkles that PSA either felt did not diminish the grade, or did not notice (I'd like to think its the former).

Archive
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Glad to hear of the people shying away from GAI graded cards, maybe I'll be able to get a break when I buy them. Of the 3 services, I have had less "what the hell?" grades from GAI than from SGC or PSA. I also think GAI and SGC grades are very similar. My issues with GAI are from their dogged insistence on using UPS instead of USPS registered mail which is infinitely safer and more reliable.

Archive
05-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Evanov</b><p>SGC is much more reliable and acurate. GAI "lost" a large order that I submitted at a show and screwed around for 7 weeks until I was compensated.<br><br>Frank

Archive
05-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Frank,<br /><br />Glad to hear you were compensated. Tough experience.<br /><br />Welcome to the boards--lot of very knowledgeable people about vintage cards. Of course these people define vintage a little differently than PSA or LTS.<br /><br />Don't sell that 64 Philadelphia<br />set for anything but top dollar.<br /><br />Dav<br />

Archive
05-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>*"The PSA's that have been downgraded were all because of wrinkles that PSA either felt did not diminish the grade, or did not notice...."*<br /><br />That's been my experience, too. Now everytime I buy PSA graded cards, I worry that they will have wrinkles that PSA ignored. It is for this reason I try to stay away from PSA, unless I really need the card. But I always have the cards cracked out of PSA and slabbed into an SGC holder whenever possible. <br /><br /><br />

Archive
05-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Posted By: <b>John J. Grillo</b><p>Part of the problem is the term "wrinkle" is not defined/mentioned anywhere in PSA's grading standards. Too much subjectivity here with wrinkles as the customer is often left guessing as to what grade they should expect.<br /><br />GAI, for example, makes note of the term "wrinkle" and allows for a wrinkle for cards in the "Excellent" (5) category. Makes it easier for the customer as far as grading expectations are concerned.

Archive
05-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I think both SGC & GAI grade very similar & are reliable. The biggest difference is when I call them on the phone. I usually get much better customer service from SGC.

Archive
05-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>In my opinion, there should never be a wrinkle on a card graded 5 or better.

Archive
05-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>I agree Josh. I had a bid in on a 206 joe dunn recently in a 5 that was up as many of you probably saw the card up and the seller saw I was bidding on it and called me and told me that the card had such in the upper right corner and wanted me to know. I appreciate the fact that he called to let me know about it but what bothered me more was the fact that he didnt ammend his listing to let other bidders know because there was certainly plenty of time to do such. He should have told others like he did me in putting it in the listing when he noticed it.<br><br>basicgreatguy@hotmail.com

Archive
05-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Back surface wrinkles do not bother me on cards graded as high as Ex-MT.