PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Original Art Purchase

Archive
05-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I picked up a pair of original art pieces from the PC Backed Exhibit set today from Heritage via ebay. Not an ebay live, but a regular auction. Since the set is one of my obsessions, I am thrilled. Anyway, one of the pieces is a Bill Terry (the other is Sammy Bohne). I have never seen a Bill Terry card from this set, never seen one catalogued, and the Standard Catalog does not list one either. Has anyone ever seen this card?

Archive
05-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Chris Counts</b><p>The name Sammy Bohne grabbed my attention. About 25 years ago, I picked up a wonderful wire photo of him with the Reds. I understand he was one of the first Jewish ballplayers to play in the majors.

Archive
05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I have the original art for non-baseball Exhibit cards, and there are a number of 'ghost cards.' Meaning, the original art exists but the final card is not known to exist.

Archive
05-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>And Sammy Bohne (Cohen) was indeed an early Jewish ballplayer. I've been outbid multiple times on the card the art of which I just bought. Paid less for the art, too. Strange world of ebay...

Archive
05-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>There are eleven 1930s wrestling Exhibit Supply ghost cards, including Bronco Nagurski. <br /><br />Even though I know little to nothing about wrestling or wrestling cards, I was the 'discoverer' of the wrestling ghosts. I purchased the the original art (complete sets in the card maker's folders) for several sets. I couldn't find anywhere the Nagurski card. I went to Vintage Wrestling Card Archive, which is the 'official' cataloger of vintage wrestling cards, and compared what I had with their list. I told told them about the eleven extra arts I had, and the catalog now lists the ghosts.

Archive
05-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I should add that I had the art for other exhbit sets, including boxing, where there were no ghost cards.

Archive
05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>One very last thing for those would are considering purchasing the original Exhibit art and are curious where the came from. They have strong provenance, as much of Exhibit Supply art was sold to the public by the President and Owner of The Exhibit Supply Company. When I bought mine, it included a signed letter from the President telling about the art and the history and ownership of the company.