PDA

View Full Version : poor condition cards

Archive
05-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Forrest</b><p>Let me start off by saying I am not a card collector, but I am finding many cards from the late 40s in poor condition while cleaning behind my air return grills.<br /><br />I have found several psudo baseball collector card under 1 vent<br />and many more tops behind another.<br /><br />I'm guessing the kid that lived here liked to fling 'em in, along with other garbage, untill he quit or got chewed out (everything is at the very bottom of all the 1-2" of dust)<br /><br />my basic question is are these poor condition cards worth anything in general? many are discolored, many are warped.

Archive
05-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>which players are they of?

Archive
05-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>They are worth something. What they are worth will depend on the player, the set and ultimately the condition in terms of presentability. Also, warped cards can sometimes be pressed flat.<br /><br />If you could post scans or provide a more detailed description, you will get more detailed appraisals.<br /><br />

Archive
05-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>Forrest, the value of a card depends heavily on its condition. This does not mean your poor conditioned cards worthless however. It all depends on what exactly you have. Could you describe your cards for us, including player names and any distinguishing marks or writing on the front and back? Someone here will be able to tell you what you have as well as it's approximate worth. <br /><br />Even better, if you have a scan of the card(s), send it to me at fisherboy7@hotmail.com and I will post it here for you.

Archive
05-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Forrest</b><p>My wife did some research and scanned in the cards.<br />a word of warning; they are pretty big files<br /><br />Sports Thrills series A (swell bubble gum, found out to be from 48)<br />3x #16 three run homer in the ninth<br />2x #1 greatest single inning<br />1x #13 winning run<br />3x #18 home run to fame<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Sports%20Thrills%20Front.jpg<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Sports%20Thrills%20Back.jpg<br /><br />All the baseball cards are from 1954<br /><br />There are 3 Bowmans<br />89 Willie Mays (the only name I recognised)<br />113 Allie Renolds<br />160 Danny O’Connell<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Bowman%20cards%20front.jpg<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Bowman%20cards%20back.jpg<br /><br />the rest are Topps<br />175 Frank John leja Jr.<br />168 Morris Webster Martin<br />163 Henery Frank House Sr.<br />162 Herman Ralph webster<br />160 Ralph Kress<br />156 Joseph Patrick Colman<br />125 Alexander Peter Grammas<br />151 Henery Walter Perkowski<br />116 Stephen Thomas Bilko<br />72 Preston Meyer Ward<br />69 Clarence A. Podblielan<br />59 Donald Eugene Conley<br />2 x 55 Philip Joseph Cavarretta<br />2x 51 John Harlan Lindell<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Topps%20Page%201%20Front.jpg<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Topps%20Page%201%20Back.jpg<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Topps%20Page%202%20Front.jpg<br />kalnet.net/forrest/Baseball%20cards/Topps%20Page%202%20Back.jpg<br /><br />If nothing else finding the cards made a nasty chore interesting

Archive
05-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Mays is probably good for $30 or so on eBay. The Swell Sports Thrills will easily fetch $5+ each. All the other cards together are good for about $5+ as a lot.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimi</b><p>I agree with David on his assessment on the values of the cards. However, it 2 or more people want the same card...anything can happen on Ebay!<br><br>Jimi

Archive
05-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff</b><p>I downloaded the images and looked them over and I got to say that I like them. Cards in these condition have character and show that they were enjoyed by the previous owner.<br /><br />As far as value if they were in high grade the 1948 Sports Thrills have a current high book value of $815 with the #16 Joe DiMaggio/Ted Willaims at $200 each. BUT they are not in high grade. One of the DiMaggio/Williams (The one in the upper right corner)looks really good and in my opinion grades higher then poor (Maybe Good To Very Good condition)and should bring a little bit. The middle one in my opinion is not poor either but has discolored alot (Maybe Fair condition).<br /><br />The 1954 Topps look like they have suffered some water damage and probably wouldn't get much but you never know. <br /><br />As a collector that really doesn't care about condition I would have no problem paying the prices that have been quoted here so I am sure that other collectors would to.(Actually I'd love to pay the prices quoted for the 54's:-)<br /><br />Good luck with whatever you do with them.<br /><br /><br />Jeff

Archive
05-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Snyder</b><p>I think the kid know what he was flinging.....