PDA

View Full Version : later exhibits question

Archive
05-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>I'm wondering: Did those players who appear on a 1938-1946 Salutation Exhibit but who continued to play longer have their Salutation Exhibits distributed throughout their careers?<br /><br />Reading the SCD descriptions, it appears that "production and sale continued", but does anyone know for sure and for how long?<br /><br />Examples: Luke Appling and Johnny VanderMeer (and maybe others)had both salutation exhibits and "regular" 1947-66 exhbibits, i.e. time was taken to produce a second card.<br /><br />Ted Williams, Bob Feller and Joe Dimaggio had Salutation Exhibits but no "regular" exhibits. These stars played well beyond 1946. Was the Williams salutation, for example, sold all the way through his retirement year of 1960? If I buy that card I could be as far as 22 years off as to when it was made? Why not make a newer style exhibit of such prominent players?<br /><br />Thoughts? Adam Warshaw--a little help?

Archive
05-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhett Yeakley</b><p>Todd, you are correct about some of the Salutation exhibits being produced over a long period of time. Many of the more common Salutation Exhibits were produced over the players career. Examples of this are players like Andy Pafko, Bob Feller, and many others. Their Salutation exhibits were produced concurrently with many of the 1947-66 Regular Exhibits. I once bought a collection of 1947-66 Exhibits, and they were all bought by the same person over a year or so period back in the day, and included in the lot were several of the really common Salutation Exhibits, including 3-4 Andy Pafko's. Hope this helps.<br />-Rhett

Archive
05-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>But ESCO routinely printed cards beyond their "set" lifespans. Recent uncut sheet auctions prove it, as do some old advertising pieces I've seen with DiMaggio and Williams cards listed with later cards. While the books all split the postwar cards into sets, it really isn't accurate.

Archive
05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>Thank you--this would seem to confirm it (Note Salutation Exhibit Williams top row and Jackie Brandt, who did not play for Orioles until 1960, in second row):<br /><br /><a href="http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000223529" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000223529</a><br /><br />sorry, can't get image to load