PDA

View Full Version : When will it stop?

Archive
05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44827&item=5193597148&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44827&item=5193597148&rd=1</a><br /><br />Lots of pictures, promises, misinformation, etc. Wrong factory number. Still people are bidding like crazy for it. <br /><br />Jon Canfield's article on packs in issue 3 of Old Cardboard was very informative. I differ with the pricing, as auctions like this show how much people are willing to spend on ones that don't have a card in them.

Archive
05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Why does every seller have to use the same ridiculous selling point-"dare I say this pack might contain the rare T206 Wagner card." Don't any of these packs ever contain Nattress or Congalton or simply nothing at all?

Archive
05-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>Dare I say that this is the longest auction description that I've seen on ebay? When will it stop? Never . . .

Archive
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>First off, this is the most annoying auction description ever. It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on . <br /><br />Another problem I have is that with ALL his auctions, he makes everything seem like you are getting a one of a kind item and his estimated price is WAY too high. <br /><br />He has a signed Billy Williams jersey that he doesn't mention in the title and then says: THE COWBOYS AND YANKEES AND CUBS HAVE THE SAME REPUTATION----BILLY WILLIAMS AUTOGRAPH IS VERY RARE!! Since when is Billy Williams a rare signature? He estimates the value at $1,500+ <br /><br />Last, a Mel Ott signed 1951 team photo in which he says "MOST IMPORTANT IS THE MEL OTT---THAT ALONE COULD FETCH OVER $10,000 IN MAJOR AUCTIONS----...HOW AWESOME IS THIS? THIS IS TRUELY 1 OF KIND WORTH HUGE $$$ GOOD LUCK. <br /><br />Can you say 'Carnival Barker-ing?' (this may not be a word)<br /><br />I have to lay down. After this, I now have a migraine. <br /><br />DJ<br />

Archive
05-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>He could also use a few more pictures of the pack. I couldn't figure out what it is he was selling with such a paucity of images.

Archive
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>Jon should update his pricing:<br /><br />Prices idiots pay and the true values for packs that are legit. <br /><br />Also, such a great deal on postage! $16 for priority mail in U.S. only!

Archive
05-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>it will never stop. As long as GAI is willing to grade cigarette packs without putting the factory numbers on the labels, unscrupulous sellers will prey on unrealistic dreamers who don't do their research.<br /><br />Best suggestion is that GAI add the factory numbers to the labels for these packs.

Archive
05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Shane Killian</b><p>"will you find a card of this magnitude"<br /><br />i like how he asks that and all the pictures of t206s are of reprints

Archive
05-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>As I was getting a headache just from trying to read the ridiculous thing. Yikes.

Archive
05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Auction realized prices can only be reliable indicators of market price when the auction descriptions are accurate and not deceptive. One reason is that many bidders choose the amount of their bids based directly on what is said in the description.<br /><br />It's unlikely that anyone here is going to beleive that T206 Ty Cobb reprints are worth $200 each because a fake Cobb sold for $200 in one of those private eBay auctions.

Archive
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Even if you put the factory number on the insert, there will still be ignorant people out there lulled into believing that there might be a mint wagner lurking inside. People don't understand that the factory designation is so important and that only a few factories even issued wagners or T206 cards generally. Like the reprint problem, it's about educating buyers. But when you have unscrupulous sellers, a new sucker is born every day.<br /><br />What really bothers me so much about people bidding a few hundred dollars on wagner reprints is that they really think the rest of us are just so stupid not to bid, or that they might get lucky and have it not be a reprint after all. It's the same logic that compels people to spend copious amounts of cash on lottery tickets. People can imagine winning the lottery and purchasing a ticket brings their dream one step closer to reality. But it's really just an idiot tax.

Archive
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Moraine</b><p>Hey PASJD & DJ I am a little concerned about your health and well being. Have you both gotten over your migranes and headaches? If not, consult our boards own Doctor. (Darren D.)<br /><br />Best Regards,<br /><br />Adam J. Moraine <br /><br />

Archive
05-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>Item went for $2,176.00. 57 bids. Low feedback bidders. Can't understand why eBay lets auctions like this continue.

Archive
05-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Ed Hans</b><p>Because they picked up $45.76 (if my math is right) in final value fees?

Archive
05-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>why not mention Heine to be differeent!<br /><br /><br />(Login barrysloate)<br />unopened packMay 5 2005, 12:53 PM <br /><br />Why does every seller have to use the same ridiculous selling point-"dare I say this pack might contain the rare T206 Wagner card." Don't any of these packs ever contain Nattress or Congalton or simply nothing at all?<br /><br /> Hippo Vaughn would seem much more credible as well.

Archive
05-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Yoken</b><p>I love the "here's a picture of the tax stamp, and isn't my keyboard<br />background lovely?"<br /><br />This guy should be writing for the Enquirer, and taking pictures for National Geographic!! <br /><br />What a joke!

Archive
05-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>How old do you have to be to be a 'Used Car Salesman'?<br /><br />Would you buy a Rolex from a infant at the corner of your block?<br /><br />Why does every scan have a 1984 Rack Pack photograph? <br /><br />I'm simply in awe at this seller and his 'unprofessional', carnival barking Inventory. I like purchasing my items from 'Mature' human beings. <br /><br />DJ<br />

Archive
05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>(to perhaps rescue GAI form having authenticated this one)

Archive
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>The buyer does not appear to be too educated, he also bought an overgraded PSA 4 T206 Cobb for $860. The card has crease and a decent size spot of paper missing on the front. I wish I could afford to spend my money so friverously.<br /><br />Lee