PDA

View Full Version : What is a higher grade than vg/ex?

Archive
05-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Bob D said it best: "anything above that I don't think is worth the extra money. I kinda like my old cards to look like old cards".<br /><br />To me anything above that grade really wasn't there. It wasn't played with, or at least not enuff. It was purchased and tucked away accidentally or purposely by someone who - what? Wanted to preserve the card? What kid would buy a card to preserve it? Maybe many. But preservation never occured to me or my friends when we were buying 50's cards in mint condition for a penny or less apiece. Gee, maybe we should have thought about preservation a little.<br /><br />But I agree with BobD. There is no real card grade above vg/ex.<br /><br />Thoughts?

Archive
05-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>But then I finished most of the sets I was working on and decided to upgrade a few of the worst cards. Once you hold the nicer version of a card next to a real beater, it's hard not to appreciate the original quality of the card as purchased. I do understand what you're saying, though. You have to have some respect for those cards that have been well-loved...you can bond a lot more closely to one of those than something entombed in in plastic.

Archive
05-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Seriously, you're telling me that an EX or EX/MT card wasn't "enjoyed" enough? I understand the desire to not get into ego battles that result in draining the bank account to get one card. However "collector's grade" cards in 5 or 6 condition are far desirable to me than the equivalent in a 3 or 4 condition in most instances, as long as the incremental price increase is within reason.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>HUH? (Response to original post, not to any of the responses.)

Archive
05-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>vg-ex was fine with me, till somebody showed me a price guide...my first reaction to seeing a '54 Topps Snider with a hole in it was, "Well of course it's got a hole in it; it's old." My first reaction to seeing a PSA 9 T206 Rube Wadell portrait was "It can't possibly have looked that good straight out of the fasctory--nothing ever looked that good straight out of a factory." <br /><br />Most of my cards are vg-ex.

Archive
05-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collectors</b><p>best, but I settle for the 3's. I'm targeting VG-EX.

Archive
05-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I don't have any problem with a card having any given grade (the stories of how they survived are often the most interesting things), but it is effectively impossible to collect vintage cards in high grades only, even if they are inexpensive. I started my T218 and T220 sets looking to do them ex-mt or better. Then it was ex or better. Now, it is vg-ex or better. Even the postwar cards just aren't there in top grades in many sets.

Archive
05-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>since i don't have a lot of money and i like cards, i settle for good to vg/ex. i can buy more that way. when i see someone pay thousands for a high grade common,all i can think of is how many great vg hall of famers(or commons) i could have got for that amount. i would much rather own a complete set in g/vg than the key card of that set in mint! to me the more cards i have the better!