PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on selling an uncataloged item

Archive
05-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p><br />Hi all,<br /><br />Recently, I was lucky enough to snag a 1910 Mascot Gum Gum pin of an uncataloged common player. I know that these where just added to the Standard catalog last year and that they are fairly tough to find. I don't have any experience grading pins, but I'd say it's in Good condition. I'm not big into collecting pins, so I'm thinking about selling it. My problem is that I've never sold an uncataloged item before and I'm unsure how I should price it? I was thinking in the neighborhood of $100, but I wanted to get the opinions of more experienced collectors first, before attempting to sell. Any thoughts would be appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Adam<br /><br />

Archive
05-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Double what the cataloged ones are listed at.

Archive
05-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>then I think Dan's right, you should try to get a premium for it's being unlisted, and certainly state that it's uncatalogued in the description.<br /><br />Depending on the issue, many people will be agog at the thought of owning an uncatalogued item, for two reasons, one or both of which could easily be false 1) it's a one of a kind item; 2) it's scarcer than other commons.<br />If you had a t206 that had never been catalogued, you'd really have something scarce. But if you came up with a Just So Jimmy McAleer, for example, you'd have card from an already very scarce set that is probably worth no more than a Nig Cuppy or other common, simply because they're all scarce in that set (what a drag, still a five figure card). I don't know enough about your pin set to know where in that spectrum it lands. In any event, the only market that would be unimpressed would be the type card collectors, so why not mark it up!<br />Good luck.

Archive
05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>then don't worry about it; a pricing error isn't going to hurt you much. <br /><br />If you think that the item will rise precipitously in the future, you may want to hold it. If not, I think that 2x book on others is as good a starting point as anything else. <br /><br />Of course, you also have to consider that uncatalogued has a way of becoming catalogued rather quickly in this instant information age. I have dozens of uncatalogued cards; doesn't mean I think they carry any real premium on them. <br /><br />

Archive
05-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>Well, after mulling it over for a few hours, I've decided to put it up for sale in the B/S/T. Dan, Todd, and Adam thanks very much for your posts.