PDA

View Full Version : Any sets NOT produced as reprints that are safe .. eBay?

Archive
05-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>A newbie collector wrote me after he saw I was high bidder on a couple of cards and he posed a good question. <br /><br />Are there any/many sets that WEREN'T produced as 'reprints' that are simply safe?<br /><br />I don't know anything about reprints really and I pointed him in this direction as far as increasing his education.<br /><br />Thanks Group!<br /><br />DJ

Archive
05-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>&lt;&lt;&lt; Are there any/many sets that WEREN'T produced as 'reprints' that are simply safe? &gt;&gt;&gt;<br><br>None that I'm aware of that are really worth anything. Being concerned about which cards have reprints shouldn't matter. You're better off presuming that for any &quot;valuable&quot; card out there, it has a good looking reprint. This way you stay cautious, and caution is a good thing to have when buying valuable baseball cards.<br><br>Steve<br>

Archive
05-04-2005, 03:03 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I think it's safe to say that the 1943 MP&Co set has not been reprinted.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
05-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Posted By: <b>CHRIS</b><p> I THINK ANY SET THAT IS POPULAR MAY BE A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A REPRINT SET.

Archive
05-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p><br />I agree but the prefered way of purchasing cards these days is the through the viewing of a scan on the internet. There's a big difference between holding the card and looking at a card that was abused on purpose to show age. Remember these things called 'Shows'? <br /><br />I honestly didn't know there was a Mayo Repo set until I found a Cap Anson on eBay that had the obvious look of wear and it sold for 10% of what it should. <br /><br />Is there a T205 repo set?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />DJ

Archive
05-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>1910 Washington times

Archive
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>It really doesn't matter whether or not a particular set was reprinted. With today's technology, scammer's can reprint any card they want to by simply stealing a scan and printing it on a photo printer. The E107 set was never reprinted, yet fakes of the E107 Wagner that I personally own have been sold on Ebay no less than 5 times.

Archive
05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>1970s Dover - no one has successfully reproduced the perforations yet.<br /><br />Seriously tho - die cut cards such as the Batter Ups from the 30s would be a pain to fake.

Archive
05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>Yes a very nice T205 reprint set exists, as does a T206 reprint set. I have heard that a reprint T207 set exists but in all my searching for cards from this set, I have never run across a fake T207 (knock on wood).

Archive
05-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>I'm with Andy on this topic, although those might more correctly be called forgeries, rather than reprints. The Anson N300 is/are forgeries.

Archive
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I think that if an eBay collector realizes that anyone can make a counterfiet of about any issue, and many people sell such fakes, they will be in better shape buying on eBay. Knowing this the buyer will start looking to see what is the guarnatee and return policy, does the seller unequivically stat that the item is genuine, what is the seller's feedback, what form of payment does the seller accept. The collector will be conscious of the question "Who's a good seller?" as opposed to randomly picking eBay sellers as if from the yellow pages.<br /><br />It's a rule to all areas of collecting that the beginner who starts by knowing there are fakes and counterfeits and scams will be incredibly better off than the beginner who assumes everything's good and all sellers are honest.

Archive
05-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Posted By: <b>thomas mcconnell</b><p>the 1911 m-116 sporting life have not been reprinted