PDA

View Full Version : $3,000.00 plus for a Cracker Jack on ebay?

Archive
05-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>Good Lord, prepare for the deluge. It was a PSA 8 Jennings. Very nice card but neither rare nor spectacular.

Archive
05-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>I've been seeing this a lot lately in a variety of cards. When majoring in finance at Penn State, I had courses in business cycles and of course one of the first things we studied was the famous tulip boom-bust cycle back in 17th century Holland. Usually wild upswings in a given market is a sign that market is about to crash. Of course one thing I learned in years of stock market trading, etc., is that it is impossible to predict exactly when - but for sure the wild upswings don't last forever.

Archive
05-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>The Jennings went for $3,033, $33 over SMR. Does that define wild upswings or an item that one grossly overpaid for? I would agree if it went for $4,500 or so.

Archive
05-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Rhett Yeakley</b><p>So, by your reasoning then because the holy SMR states that the "price" of a CJ Jennings is $3000 and it went for about that, then it CAN'T mean that it went really high--because the holy SMR said it was so!?! I didn't see the card but I assume it was a 1915, if it was then that is a very high price--regardless of what the almighty SMR says.<br />-Rhett

Archive
05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>not a rarer and usually caramel stained 1914. I agree with Rhett, the God Almighty SMR becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. When an SMR increases, the blindly following investment driven sorts feel the card couldn't be overpriced because the SMR said it is not, and bid accordingly. I would not want to be the owner of this card and have to turn around and sell it at a later date for a profit, if that were the intent....

Archive
05-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>The SMR is actually BEHIND the auctions as best I can tell. Their prices for vintage stuff is LOWER than what it sells for every time I see it come up.<br /><br />And... I can state for a fact that there are several Pre-1970 sets that have NOT changed price in the SMR for several years. So I don't think the SMR is automatically raising prices willy-nilly just to drive up the value of cards.<br /><br />I just think that people are buying the vintage stuff more and more because it is RARE and because grading companies and the internet have made it easy to do.

Archive
05-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Posted By: <b>craig</b><p>The cj Jenningd in Mastro (4/05) sold for about $2300<br />The two high bidders look to be newbies with low feedback.<br />Still I don't think 3k is totally outrageous. Larry Mayer who buys for resale had a bid over 2500 in.