PDA

View Full Version : Why is this so expensive?

Archive
05-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Posted By: <b>ted</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5191112123" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5191112123</a><br /><br />I think the whole topps buyback thing is a joke...but then again, i don't know much of anything.<br /><br />BlackSoxFan

Archive
05-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...because it's a Southern Leaguer in apparently VG-EX condition. The fact that it's a Topps buyback gives a lot of collectors the mistaken belief that the card must be in Excellent or better condition. It doesn't. I've got a Tinker in a buyback holder with creasing and some bad scratching on the back, in about Good condition. <br /><br />But I don't think that the Topps buybacks are a joke. I think it's actually a pretty cool concept. Indeed, I don't buy packs of cards anymore -- but if you could come out with a pack of cards and guarantee vintage cards in every pack, wouldn't that be something?<br /><br />

Archive
05-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Posted By: <b>ted</b><p>Lol...what i meant was ... i think it's over priced ... even for a SL... and topps getting involved is just another way for them to make money. I guess if someone wants to go an overpay for the card just because topps has done something similar to PSA or SGC then that's fine with me...i just think this price is inflated.

Archive
05-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>will watson</b><p>first off, i don't like card companies buying back cards for resale that they never produced in the first place. Scoreboard (they made crappy NBA draft products in the mid 90's) did the same thing, buying back major manufacturers cards and inserting them in their own products. <br /><br />this card could possibly be a 1/1 - the only Topps/T206 Carey buyback in the hobby - which means the moron modern collectors will be all over it. it's pretty actually pretty funny to see people get worked up over "fake" scarcity

Archive
05-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Posted By: <b>ted</b><p>good point will. I took a look at this sellers other cards, some of them seem to be a bit out of line in pricing IMHO. Oh well.